Hair Loss Help?Hey guys, I was on a very low calorie diet for about 8 months and started...

lucalaw28
on 3/15/14 1:05 pm

Hey guys, I was on a very low calorie diet for about 8 months and started losing a lot of hair, similar to what you guys went through after you had the surgery. I started shedding a lot and then I dyed my hair in November and the shedding picked up a lot.  Now my hair is getting really thin, especially on the top.  I've changed my diet recently, to healthy in content and amount of calories, but I just want to hear from you guys who have went through this, how bad it got for you and how long it took to get better.  I've been taking biotin and silica and have noticed some hairs growing in, like the curly ones people have mentioned, but I'm still shedding a lot and am wondering how long it took it to slow down and does it get back to normal, the thickness, or is it never the same again?  I understand everyone is different, but I just need to hear from others who have gone through this, cause it's been very traumatic for me, and I need a light at the end of the tunnel.  Thanks :)

alaskasusan
on 3/29/14 10:18 am - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

I'm not sure if this is exactly the same thing because our hair loss stemmed mostly from the anesthesia. Be that as it may, I lost a TON of hair, I mean big gobs of it and it's very long and thick (or it was anyway) so it was hard to see it go.  BUT after about 4 months (from 3 mo out to about 7 mo out) of loss, it slowed down abruptly then started coming in, and coming in pretty quickly too, which I think may be due to the excellent food I'm enjoying.  I am super careful to get my protein and vitamins in every single day and that does help.  It looks like I'll have just as much hair as ever (eventually) and it looks pretty good too (silly where it's short, but otherwise nice and shiny and healthy).  Your loss may stop soon or not, but a good diet will help with the new growth you already see.  Since it is still coming out for you, you may want to check with your PCP?  Good luck!

Jessica285
on 4/11/14 12:10 am - UT

Keep your protein levels up!!  Most nutritionists and surgeons don't explain the importance of your protein and how it helps you retain muscle mass, keep your skin and hair healthy, and overall strength.  Not to mention meat and dark greens (spinach) are the best natural sources of iron you can put in your body, so natural protein can also keep your iron up.  Biotin and silica are great 'helpers', but having 60-80 grams minimum of protein per day will greatly benefit you!  Best wishes on your future success!! :)

Highest: 297 lbs/Lowest 127 lbs/Maintaining at 140-145 lbs

RNY Nov 2009/Perforated Ulcers Jan 2010/Revised to modified VSG Dec 2011      

Chelle_LMT
on 4/17/14 6:35 pm - Crest Hill, IL
with

That is definitely one thing that either I did not hear or overlooked....Now almost 8 years post op and thinned hair and short cuz it looks more fuller short then a try to be long which I felt looked really thin....my question is this can now after all these years probably not getting the greatest amounts of protein can my hair grow the way it used to before surgery and be thick again or eating the right amount of protein just going to keep it where it is now and not get worse?  I really miss my thick hair :-/

tv73841
on 3/1/15 11:37 pm

I admit that good diet helps with the hair growth, but yet not always food is enough, sometimes you require vitamin supplement for better results. I recommend vita4life’s Hair skin and nail vitamin for you.

Most Active