rbc transfusion & iron infusion

rosalyn P.
on 3/23/14 11:24 am - garnerville, NY
Low iron & hemotacrit led to ER admission. Received 2 pints of blood & the next day & iron infusion of fresheners? 2nd iron infusion in 2 days. Would luv&appreciate input on when I should expect to feel better.
rosalyn P.
on 3/23/14 11:49 am - garnerville, NY
Sry. Correction : I received iron infusion of "feraheme"
Hlindanne
on 4/26/14 11:19 am - Canada

Had laparascopic gastric bypass surgery in October 2009 and emergency surgery i October 2013 for a strangulated hernia and 1 foot of dead bowl was removed.  Nov. 2013 after my fourth year post surgery (Bariatric) check-up I received a call saying my blood was low, around 78 and so I had to start ferrous gluconate (300mg), Vitamin C(500 mg), Calcium (650 mg), VitaminD (1,000 IU) three times a day and recheck in 3 months.  Faithfully took all my meds and the 6 month checkup was lost in another medical crisis.  My blood despite the additional vitamins, liver and beet juice is still around 84 has anyone else had this problem?  I am facing urgent surgery on Wed April 30th and may need a transfusion first.

Jessica285
on 4/11/14 12:11 am - UT

Rosalyn... are you feeling better now?  I understood the blood transfusion and IV iron would help severe iron anemia within days. 

Highest: 297 lbs/Lowest 127 lbs/Maintaining at 140-145 lbs

RNY Nov 2009/Perforated Ulcers Jan 2010/Revised to modified VSG Dec 2011      

Chelle_LMT
on 4/17/14 6:26 pm - Crest Hill, IL
with

Rosalyn hope you are doing better!  I had the same issue 4 years ago identical to yours.  It took not that long a few dys to feel better.  My advice take those iron pills and have your hemoglobin levels checked regularly so you don't fal to that situation again.  I have not had an episode like that since.  Hope that helps you!

Most Active