Help 3rd week post op & a long weight loss stall

Onmyway2healthy71
on 8/3/14 12:30 pm - OH

I am ready to lose my mind! I want to smash the scale every morning! My first 2 weeks were awesome, I steadily lost weight and was up to 24lbs. I went for my first follow up and was given a goal to lose 5 lbs by my next 2 week appt. well I have not lost 1 lb since then. The scale has actually gone up 2 lbs and my follow up is this Thursday.  I just want to sit in a corner and cry.  I eat between 500 - 800 calories a day and do not dare put anything in my mouth I shouldn't. I track everything I eat on My Fitness Pal. I just don't understand. I'm so discouraged, I did not expect this 3 weeks into it. It makes me not want to eat anything! What is wrong???? Is there something I can do to restart the scale? 

Gwen M.
on 8/8/14 6:21 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Lots and lots of people stall in the 3rd week.  Stick to your plan, get your water and your protein in, and you'll have success.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MalloryB87
on 8/22/14 12:33 pm
RNY on 05/27/14

Don't stress! I literally went through the exact same thing and I did sit in the corner and cry. Your body is just adjusting. I had surgery on May 27, lost 17 pounds in 11 days and then I didn't lose anything from June 8-Julyt 4. I was so discouraged and even checked in with my bariatric clinic. Everyone kept saying to stick with it and they were right. I know it's crappy advice and not what you want to hear but it will pick up again. It takes time. I will say that I did have the moments where I regretted the surgery but now all is good. I plateau for a week or 2 then I lose a lot in a short period. It sounds like you are the same situation. Avoid carbs as much as possible and eat your protein!

Pianotchr
on 9/20/14 9:52 am

I'm 2.5 weeks out and you have more than doubled my loss.  Everyone has little stalls now and then.  You are doing great...stop worrying so much!  I wish I had lost as much as you!

Pianotchr

msdanib
on 9/25/14 12:55 pm

I'm almost 2 weeks out and only down 15lbs and I'm starting to panic.  I only get between 500-800 calories as well and I walk about 3 miles per day, is this just "stall"?  I don't want to eat at all! 

Pianotchr
on 9/27/14 4:53 am

My doc tells me NOT to eat until I feel hungry.   Right now I'm getting two small meals a day.  My scale has finally moved.   I will adjust my eating when he tells me.  It's important that I learn to listen to my body.  And it's finally happening.  I don't eat half the calories that you do.  I get about 350 calories a day, and that's including the calories in my calcium supplement.  I thought that I wouldn't be able to eat like this, but I realize it's only temporary and that my body is adjusting and using it's stores.  As my own stores get depleted, I'll genuinely feel hungry more often.  And I will make better choices.  Of this, I am certain!

Pianotchr

FreshStart_2014
on 10/15/14 11:35 pm

I'm 2 wks as we'll & have stalled too! You're a step ahead of me I have NO ENERGY to even walk! 

You're still doing all liquids? I'm allowed yogurt as well Dannon lite & fit which has been a god send. 

Truth be told I'm getting a little down w/ the scale not budging! 

FreshStart-2014

FreshStart_2014

I'm 2 wks as we'll & have stalled too! You're a step ahead of me I have NO ENERGY to even walk! 

You're still doing all liquids? I'm allowed yogurt as well Dannon lite & fit which has been a god send. 

FreshStart-2014

FreshStart_2014

FreshStart-2014

Jocelyn3000
on 9/27/14 6:28 am

OMG you sound like me!  I had surgery on 8/26.  At first I was losing almost 2lbs a day then 1lb a day. For the last week I plateaued then I went up a few pounds.  My routine did not change and I also only consume 500-800 calories a day.  I was weighing myself daily and wanted to punch the scale every time. (I actually did kick it a broke it...ooops!). I had my 4 week check up this week and expect my dr to be mad but they were very happy with my progress.  Basically you cannot let the scale numbers control you.  At the early stages it means nothing.  It's all about fluid and the way your body store and distributes it.  After losing a lot of weight fast your body has to adjust thus plateaus and minor weight gain.  What has helped me is taking pictures weekly to gauge my progress.  Despite the scale, I do see progress.  I just recently decided to only weigh in once a week.  So hang tight.  I'm sure you are great! 

Most Active