Hungry all the time

AstridLee
on 9/9/14 11:18 pm

Help! I had a VS 6 weeks ago and am hungry all the time. I'm eating 1,000 + calories per day. I've been eating a lot of WW 50-calorie cheese sticks and perhaps these aren't dense enough? How about deli thin turkey slices? I read to concentrate on dense things like chicken, pork and broccoli? Would that help decrease my hunger pangs? I worry I may have enlarged (what is left of) my stomach.

NLHRN
on 9/10/14 10:11 am
VSG on 08/26/14

What are u eating at meals? An actual meal? Or picking? How long after a meal are u hungry?

HW-410  Consult-380  SW-364.4 

1/12/15-310.2lbs

AstridLee
on 9/10/14 10:36 am

I have been relying too much on string cheese - weigh****chers, because they are handy to eat on the run. I'm usually hungry an hour or two after eating. Today I tried to focus on density - chicken breast and salmon and it helped. I have also been having a hard time not drinking during or after a meal as I have chronic dry mouth, but I MUST stop that! Thanks for your help!

AstridLee
on 9/21/14 9:05 am

very interesting - i hadn't thought of that - i appreciate your insight :-)

Gwen M.
on 9/21/14 9:06 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Eating denser proteins should help.  If you're not taking a PPI (like Nexium or Prilosec) you should ask your doctor about starting one - oftentimes, especially at this point in the process, acid can mimic hunger.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Cindy B.
on 9/21/14 9:32 am, edited 9/21/14 9:33 am
VSG on 10/22/12

At that early out I was really lucky to get in around 400-500 calories a day. All I could eat was 2-3 tablespoons of food at one sitting. I couldn't eat a whole string cheese for at least 2 months after surgery. As was mentioned already, if you aren't on a PPI like Nexium or Prilosec, you might want to check with your doctor about taking something. Acid really does mimic hunger that early out. At just 6 weeks out I was still mostly on soft type foods, like canned chicken, tuna, cottage cheese, and yogurt although I was cleared for a "regular" diet as tolerated from about one month after having surgery. These foods were plenty dense enough for my new tiny stomach. I didn't really feel hungry until around 6-8 months after having surgery.  The messages you are receiving from your stomach right now might be a bit messed up since you are really a pretty newly sleeved patient.

Make sure you aren't drinking with your meals or right after them as that can push the food through faster and make you hungry sooner. One other thought, and this worked really well for me, was to make sure I was getting in enough fluids between meals. If it wasn't time for me to eat, then I was and still am drinking water. I had an eating schedule and my plan called for me to eat 5 times a day, which still works really well for me. This helps me to keep from "grazing" and to make mindful meal choices. I hope this helps. Good luck with your new little stomach!

Surgery weight 255     GW 140     CW 128

Most Active