My iron is a 19 is that normal? I am 7 years out

jade123
on 11/3/14 4:01 am

Doctor said it is low, what do I do? I am taking supplements.Jade

Felicia O'Connor
on 11/3/14 9:47 am - South Pasadena, CA
RNY on 02/09/09 with

I had to be hospitalized a few months back, I need Iv of iron and blood transfusion. Talk to your dr.

jade123
on 11/3/14 9:50 am

What was your level?

claudia P.
on 11/5/14 9:41 am - West Sacramento, CA

Is that  your iron or your ferritin?  What is the composition of the supplements you're taking?

jade123
on 11/7/14 7:11 am

It is my iron, I am on supplements, I just doubled them.

ohlittleone
on 11/9/14 7:44 am
with

19 is your hematocrit level.  That would mean your hemoglobin level is about a 6.6.  (Take your hematocrit level and divide by 3 to get hemoglobin level.)  Yes, that's very low.  Normal hemoglobin is 12-14 or so.  

I wasn't always taking my supplements like I needed to.  One day about 4 years post op, I just felt super cranky, teary, moody, etc.  I didn't know what was wrong because going to the hospital and telling them "I just don't feel good" doesn't work so well.  I did it anyway, they drew blood and found out my hemoglobin was a 2.  I was immediately admitted and received multiple units of blood over the next few days.  My level was brought up to a 9.5 by the time I left the hospital.  

Fast forward to earlier this year and my hemoglobin level was sitting at a constant 7.  I was referred to a hematologist who started 12 weeks of iron infusions which brought my hemoglobin level up to a 14.  My color perked up big time from a "pasty" appearance as friends would say and I was actually able to leave the house wearing just one or maybe 2 layers of clothing.  (I was always so cold!)  I was also considering a revision and knew there was no way my surgeon would consider it if my level was so low.

Seeing the hematologist was the best thing I could have done because it helped me to feel so much better!  

Most Active