Weight gain ... ugh

a_better_life81
on 11/30/14 10:24 am - Concord, NC
RNY on 07/24/12

I am 2.5 years PO and have been doing well for the most part. However, a little over a year ago I was injured. I was on all kinds of pain medication and steroids. Also, a lot of bed rest and being forced to sit around. I am not seeing a 15 lbs weight gain staring back at me at the scales and I am terrified. I don't even know where to start to get this back off again. I am depressed that none of my clothes from last year fit and I am just annoyed every time I look in the mirror. Not because I am "over weight or heavy" because I don't think I am truly in that area again, but, because of what I looked liked last year and am comparing (probably harshly) I am thinking about maybe a week or two of mostly liquid protein?

Gwen M.
on 11/30/14 11:10 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

At this point, doing a week or two of liquids is really no better than any other crash diet that you've tried and failed in the past.  Instead, you should just get back to your basics.  Track every bite that goes into your mouth with something like myfitnesspal so you can really see what you're ingesting and figure out what you need to modify.  

My "basics" are as follows:

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
5. Avoid liquid calories (breakfast protein shake is the exception)
6. Weigh portions
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
8. Move as much as possible
9. Be kind to myself

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Waterme27
on 12/20/14 7:02 am

Love the tips, thank you 

want2bsmall
on 12/31/14 1:43 am - NC

I too have gained some in the last year due to surgery and not being able to exercise for several months.  I too feel depressed and mad at myself for getting in this position yet again.  However I have faith I can get back to where I was I just have to stick to it.  WE can boost each other through the process. 

spuddzy
on 11/7/18 7:03 am - NY

I reccently had a flare up with my heal on left foot...Its slow healing and doctor said not walks around lake that I do daily to stay in check...It's between 3-4 lbs. and I know the meds Im on shows a weight gain on pkg. sitting around and not being as active as I was is partly due but I have picked up bad after dinner grazing..Its when Im in bed watching TV .. can't seem to break this habit. how to stop this mindless eating late night...????

spuddzy

Most Active