Please help me. I am pre-surgery and so discouraged and depressed.

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/14 3:08 am
VSG on 06/01/15

I hope some of you can help me, give me a pep talk or something. 

I went to the mandatory seminar last week and have been discouraged ever since. I found out my BMI has to be under 60 and I'm at 61...about 20 lbs. to lose (if I don't have to go on a medically supervised diet first.) The program I'm seeking out won't even schedule me for an appointment without losing the weight first. I worked really hard to be tobacco-free and I quit the day after the seminar. This just seems like a slap in the face.

I am supposed to talk to one of the nutritionists but I haven't been able to get hold of one yet. I've looked online at protein shakes, looked at Walmart (I live in a rural area and am not close to any Sam's Clubs or Costco's.) I am so overwhelmed. That's probably the main problem. I don't know what to buy. I don't know how to lose this weight. I don't know how to keep it off so I can have the surgery (verticle sleeve). I don't know how I'm going to pay for the protein shakes (I only get $67 in food stamps a month).

I've done research for many years on WLS and thought I knew enough. After the seminar, I was really discouraged. I went online and did a deeper research on WLS results, success rate, etc. I shouldn't have done that. The studies done and the articles I've read say the only successful people who were morbidly obese to keep the weight off...like 10%...had to work harder at maintaining weight loss than an average person maintaining their weight loss. We're talking crazy, rigid, super amounts of exercise super vigilant eating. One study said that a person who was morbidly obese with a genetic predisposition had to work harder at the same exercise as a "normal" person would. For example, a morbidly obese/formerly morbidly obese person will only burn 400 calories doing a certain exercise when someone who was just overweight and exercising would burn 600 calories...we have to exercise harder and consume less calories.

Sorry this is so long. I just wish I could talk to someone.

Gwen M.
on 12/15/14 6:57 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Meeting with a nutritionist should help :)  I recommend protein powder - that's much more economical than ready made shakes.  I get Optimum Nutrition Double Rich Chocolate and it mixes with anything - water, milk, I use almond milk.  I also save a lot of money on food.  Pre-op I switched to replacing breakfast and lunch with shakes, so I was only eating a meal for dinner.  And, of course, post-op I eat significantly less.  I eat about 10 ounces of food a day instead of the 32+ ounces of food I was eating before!  

You might consider posting in the VSG forums.  Lots of great information there and people who can help you out!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

vervepriyanka
on 12/15/14 9:56 am

Hi beckywood,

What does your diet look like right now? There's probably an easier way to begin losing weight without spending money protein shakes. 

--Priyanka 

Eggface
on 12/16/14 4:54 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Something like Medifast would probably be your best bet... that's pretty quick and effective which is what I am gathering you want to get the ball rolling for your WLS. I understand your feeling discouraged but a little weight loss will make the safety of the surgery go up. As for the budget...  you will need to figure something out because after surgery you'd think its cheaper with less quantity but... remember quality protein sources cost more than carby fillers (generally pre-op foods), vitamins are non-negotiable and must be taken for life and at least for a few weeks you'll need protein supplements. Your insurance may cover those so look into that (medical food, vitamins by prescription) there are some ways to get assistance too (OAC, WLSFA vitamin assist programs can help your out for a month w/ Dr approval) so $$ may continue to be a post-op issue you'll want to be aware of that.

The stats on regain are wrong...  about 50% of WLSers regain a small amount of weight (approximately 5 %) two years or more following their surgery. Most of the longitudinal studies that I have read indicate that most maintain a loss of 50% of excess body weight over the long term... not too shabby and there are some things you can do: http://www.obesityaction.org/educational-resources/resource- articles-2/weight-loss-surgery/treating-weight-regain-after- weight-loss-surgery

Best wishes to you!! I will say it is worth the hoops. 

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

(deactivated member)
on 12/17/14 1:39 pm
VSG on 06/01/15

Thanks so much for your encouragement, Shelly. I really needed the pep talk!

Becky

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 12/16/14 7:30 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Any weight loss will help make the surgery safer, so don't feel discouraged that you have to lose some b4 you can qualify for surgery. Insurance might pay for protein shakes so you should look into that, go for the powders, they're cheaper & will last longer than the pre made stuff. Most people here put protein first in their way of eating & you should probably try that too cuz carbs only have you feeling more hungry & you end up eating more. Practice not drinking & eating at the same time, so you can feel fuller longer & hopefully eat less calories in the long run.

I'm not sure of those statistics you cited, they sure as hell would depress me too, but I think they're wrong. I'm considered morbidly obese & at 1 time was probably super morbidly obese, but I went thru with this surgery & am down over 100lbs & I don't feel that I'm working any harder than I did b4 when I was loosing weight. If anything it feels a bit easier cuz I have my tool (sleeve) to put the brakes on any overeating that I might do. I still occasionally have the head hunger, but that's all it is & I recognize it for what it is & react accordingly. I still diet & exercise & am enjoying the exercise! Long time coming for that to happen.

You live in a rural area, sounds like miles and miles of open terrain to just walk!, that's how a lot of people started their exercise routine, nothing fancy, just walk what you can & try to increase the distance when you can. No super crazy exercise.

Please try to do what you can to get the surgery, it is so worth it! Good Luck!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

(deactivated member)
on 12/17/14 1:42 pm
VSG on 06/01/15

Thank you so much for the encouraging words and tips. I really, really needed them!

Becky

SkinnyBonz38
on 12/20/14 1:27 am

Thank you. This is excellent advise that I'm going to use myself. Really I have always enjoyed exercising but the bigger I got the more difficult it became. And now with the sob it's become more difficult. But, I persevere on and try to get in three miles daily ( well not really the weekends) and hope the cardio offsets the need for cheese popcorn. 

Memelee504
on 12/28/14 7:57 am, edited 12/28/14 7:59 am - New Orleans, LA
with

Great Comment!@ 1lastime

RizingPheonix
on 12/18/14 8:41 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 12/03/14

Oh Becky, I know exactly what you are going thru!!! Please don't give up!!! Keep searching for ways to pay for the protein powder and get headed down the right path. I promise you its worth it!!!! I've been trying to get the surgery since 2000 and finally had it 2 weeks ago! Persistence pays!! Remember, you cant stay the way you are now, you have to loose weight in order to just live!! So there really is no other option, get to it and find the answers you need because this isnt an overnight deal, its the rest of your life!!! You can do this and you've got an enormous resource right here, men and women who've been thru it who ca help!!!

Good luck doll!!!

Most Active