Hello nutrition gurus! Recommended carb/protein ratio to be "low carb"? What...

Pokemom
on 12/21/14 9:52 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Hello all. I am doing the pre-op diet for my upcoming surgery, scheduled for Dec 29! (And yes, i am a little nervous, but clear-eyed and committed and so grateful for this opportunity.)

Sorry if this question is overly technical, but I wonder if anyone has guidelines about what is technically a "low carb" diet? By some accounts, you should limit carb servings to one starch/day and 2 fruits/day.  Some "low carb" diets eliminate all starches and all fruits.  Some "low carb" diets cut out all milk products. 

Are there guidelines for "low carb" that are based on the number of carb grams/day? Or on the ratio of carb grams to protein grams?

For my pre-op diet, my doctor's office strongly encourages using real food, rather than protein drinks.  We _can_ use protein drinks, but the doctor really really emphasized how much he preferred we use real, regular foods, and to track these on a tool like MyFitnessPal or something similar.  He wants us to limit calories to 1000/day, and to eat a "high protein low carbohydrate diet."  The guidelines  do suggest Lean Cuisine as an example of an acceptable meal choice, so I know some carbs are OK.

I appreciate how this approach to the pre-op diet is helping me to become more familiar with  options for tracking my nutrition, and for helping me to see real food as the ultimate goal all along. I appreciate how it is getting me to really evaluate the macro nutrients content of what I am eating.   Definitely there are things I am changing each day as I evaluate what I have tracked the day before.

However, I really am wondering if I meet the requirements? I want something a little more specific to hang on to, I guess.  So I would really love any input on this.

Long post, I know!

But I will still add this p.s. link to Peter Attia's blog for anyone looking for carb/protein/fat guidelines for nutritional ketosis.  http://eatingacademy.com/sports-and-nutrition/ketones-carbohydrates-can-co-exist

lo_ri_p
on 12/23/14 8:45 pm - Ocala, FL

I was given a diet guide that the doctor called my bible.  On he listed corn, peas, potatoes and winter squashes. (I assumed that to mean things like butternut squash)  I was told for pre-op to drink 2 shakes a day for breakfast and lunch and lean meat like chicken, pork, or beef and a vegetable for dinner and drink unsweetened/artificially sweetened liquids throughout the day.  I hated the shakes but after 2 days my hunger was pretty much gone and I lost 13lbs in 2 weeks pre-op.  I know your doc does not recommend the shakes.  He may have a specific reason for that due to your health or his personal preference.  I am just telling you what worked for me.  Good luck on your surgery.

Lori

Pokemom
on 12/24/14 8:25 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Thanks for that advice, Lori!  I am trying to keep to proteins and limit carbs, and also to limit the shakes, although I have used them a couple of times.  It was really helpful for me to see what you had done.  Happy Christmas!

lo_ri_p
on 12/25/14 1:25 am - Ocala, FL

Happy Christmas to you too.  Here is another important tip that I learned yesterday and I tried it and it worked for me.  Go to the search box and type in Pyloric Valve 101 it is a post by Frisco.  I wish my doctor had told me this weeks ago.  Good Luck on your surgery. 

Lori

Chilipepper
on 12/27/14 11:41 pm

Follow your surgeons preop and postop instructions. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Most Active