Advice for affordable meal plans that include protein

(deactivated member)
on 1/23/15 7:40 am

today I went to look for ideas for clear liquids since I will be on them 2 wks post op. Dr. suggested isopure xero carb since it would give me the protein and fluid. During the 2nd wk I can add protein shakes premier. It is expensive (2) 20-0z bottles needed per day for 7 days was $60. wow. I still have a husband to be regular groceries  for. Any idea's on how to  do this on a budget. Thanks

Eggface
on 1/23/15 10:18 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Premier shakes are pretty cheap at Costco (this last coupon book had a few bucks off I believe). As far as the clear liquids phase... yeah Isopure bottles are pricey. I hated them too. You might have to bite the bullet on that one but only buy a few... you won't be drinking them all... trust me no one hits those protein goals for a few weeks... you aim for better each day but on paper versus physically what you can do are different.

Lots of water (most important), Bone Broth/Stock http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2015/01/frida y-five.html and then get a few bottle of what your Dr suggests.

By week 2 you'll feel like more and it sounds like you can add better tasting ones then... save the $$ for that.

Best wishes!!

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

(deactivated member)
on 1/23/15 9:59 pm

thank you so much for the advice and best wishes on your journey.

InTransition
on 1/24/15 6:46 am
RNY on 09/08/14

Did he mean the clear liquid in the bottles, or the Isopure ZeroCarb Protein shakes?  You can buy that on Amazon for around $40 for  3lb tub, which is like 22 servings if you do 2 scoops per shake.  You won't be able to do that right away post op, because that's 12 oz of liquid for 2 scoops, so it will go further for you initially.

I will say this - of all the protein shake options I've tried, Isopure has the best bang for the buck in terms of the right kind of protein and vitamins/minerals.  It does NOT, however, have the best flavor.  I have bought tubs of both the dutch chocolate and the creamy vanilla, and they both need substantial dressing-up!  (See the other link from Eggface for lots of great ideas on how to dress them up, she's awesome!)  

I will tell you though - it seems like more $, but when you factor in how much less you spend on eating out and groceries, you will likely find you have the money for the shakes, and finding some you like is a worthy expense.  I love anything by Chike!, but I usually buy Syntrax Nectar Chocolate Truffle or Vanilla Bean Torte.  Also - if you have a kroger near you, they sell Carbmaster Milk, that is actually higher in protein than regular milk, but fewer carbs.  Love it!  

(deactivated member)
on 1/24/15 6:57 am

thank you, it just seemed when I went to GNc for isopure it was $5.75 a bottle 20 oz 30 gms protein and yes he meant isopure as part of my clear liquids menu for 1 full wk the wk 2 and protein shake like premier etc. I'v gotta really sit down with the paper work and figure it out. He details it down to how many sips of what and at what time interval. This man wants us to be healthy and losing in NJ

InTransition
on 1/24/15 8:00 am
RNY on 09/08/14

Well absolutely!  As you'll find, this is all an awful lot of effort to go to if you're not going to do it right!  I'd clarify with him though - the zero carb protein shakes were perfectly fine on my full liquid diet, and less expensive than the bottled, pre-mixed zero carb Isopure in the bottles.

To that end, I only tried one - the alpine punch, and was not thrilled with it at all! The texture and flavor were just...offputting.  You may find that your options in the first weeks are so limited, a little splurge is worth it, but really, I actually didn't really care what I ate so much at that point.  Protein drinks/shakes get tiresome no matter which kind you go with!

(deactivated member)
on 1/24/15 10:02 pm

who said anything about not doing it right, be quiet, I plan on doing it right.

(deactivated member)
on 1/24/15 1:03 pm

Hello Friend:

I know how expensive protein shakes can be. I tried almost every protein shake out there. A friend introduced me to Nutrilite Whey Protein Powder. It helps build and repair muscle, naturally sweetened, plant-derived digestive enzymes to process protein more efficient, and all natural ingredients. The price is $82 for a 2 lbs tube that can last you up to a month if you take it every day religiously. Better yet, if you become a member you get the product at much cheaper price. You can purchase the protein shakes at www.unlockanewyou.org    

(deactivated member)
on 1/24/15 10:01 pm

thank you best wishes on your journey

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/24/15 10:21 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I used Syntax Nectar Fuzzy Navel (orange added to water or crystal light for even more flavor) during the liquid phase.  I also used strawberry kiwi -- I like the nectar brand the best.  It's expensive but the tub lasts a very long time.  I would highly recommend getting sample packages at Vitamin Shoppe in the different flavors to see if you like them.  However, Vitamin Shoppe lets you return anything with a receipt within 10 days.  I have returned plenty of protein powders that way that I didn't like.

For RTD, I used Premier Protein.  Sam's club sells them for 18.99 for 12.  It's pretty affordable. I truly prefer the Nectar Chocolate truffle or Vanilla Bean Torte mixed with unsweetened almond milk, however.  I only use Premier for traveling/long commute convenience now.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active