How much B12?

InTransition
on 1/24/15 6:33 am
RNY on 09/08/14

Ok, I started taking a B12 sublingual liquid on the advice (from someone on here) that the B12 I was taking in my vitamin was not sufficient for RNY-ers.  I take Celebrate's Multi-Complete, which has over 8000% RDA on B12.  The sublingual I added on upon hearing that wasn't sufficient is 5000%.  So, all in all, I'm getting like 13,000% of the RDA of B12 daily.  

I guess then, it comes as no shock that when I had my labs done yesterday, my B12 came in at over >2000, which is as high as the test measures (so it's probably higher).  The highest normal value is like 985.  

Would you stop the extra sublingual B12?  (Of course, Dr. Google tells me excess B12 can increase risk of cancer...Stupid Dr. Google!!!)

MAchick
on 1/24/15 10:26 am
VSG on 01/27/14

Don't go by what people on here tell you, go by what your doctor tells you! How many mcg of B12 are you taking in that additional supplement?

InTransition
on 1/24/15 8:39 pm
RNY on 09/08/14

Well, I am sure when the doc calls Monday she'll tell me to back off on it.  This is the first time we've checked my B12 since the surgery, so we didn't have an indicator before!

The sublingual liquid is 5000 mcg, which I just re-read the bottle, and it actually says it's 83,333% of your RDA!  Ack!  

So the odd thing abut this is, though, that B12 is supposed to help the formation of red blood cells, which should help me as I was anemic before I ever had surgery.  My blood cell indices are all actually down - meaning my anemia is worse.  Not surprising given the surgery, but you'd think all that B12 would be helping.  

Now I know why *I* didn't go to medical school!

(deactivated member)
on 1/24/15 12:26 pm

Dear Friend:

My name is Angie. I am a biologist specialized in cellular and molecular biology planning to go medical school soon.  My recommendation to your question would be to simply stop taking the extra sublingual B12. First of all because excess of any vitamin, called vitaminosis, causes your kidneys to work overtime to get ride off the vitamin residues that with time turn into free radicals and they can get stored in any part of the body mainly in your kidneys, liver, pancreas and brain. Excess of free radicals in the body can potentially cause cancer. So ... Dr. Google was right after all :)

Gwen M.
on 1/25/15 6:40 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I would wait until I talked with my doctor, of course.. but my surgeon's guidelines were to take a B12 every other day.  So there is an option between taking it daily and not taking it at all!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

JAMStribe
on 1/28/15 5:32 am

I take 500mg every day.  I get it at Walmart and have perfect labs. 

Why are you taking so much extra?  Just wondering.

L. Speegle
on 1/30/15 2:05 am - Oxford , MS
VSG on 12/29/14

I am a newbie---got my sleeve 12/29/14.  My doc put me on B12 monthly injection.  Stick to your doc.

LynnTangle 

(deactivated member)
on 4/13/15 11:53 pm

Different B-12 vitamin products have different ingredients percentages. So it is better you limit or extend your intake as per doctor’s prescription.

David147
on 4/22/15 3:22 pm

B12 is destroyed by stomach acid so you should take your pill about ten to fifteen minutes before you have a regular meal. That way the pill gets pushed into your intestine before it is all destroyed. 

The Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) for B12 is about 6 mcg. I have vegetarian B12 tablets that have 1000 mcg in each tablet to compensate for what's destroyed before it reaches the small intestine. 

Also try eating yogurt with live culture or take "Pro-biotic" pills to help. They contain the good bacteria that live in your intestine that help put the B12 into your blood. If you can get the chewable B12 tablets they are also great because the blood vessels under your tongue are real near the surface and will pick some B12 up directly. I think they even make little B12's you put under your tongue to dissolve.

tv73841
on 5/18/15 4:45 am

That's a crazy high amount of B-12 to be taking. No wonder you're toxic! I take Vita4Life Multi-Standard formula, but until you are in normal ranges again you shouldn't take anything with B-12 in it. When you get back within normal ranges, you really should consider this multivitamin instead. I've never had any issues with toxcicity or deficiency and I've been using their multi and calcium for years now. Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Vita4life-300-Calcium-Malate-Chelate/d p/B008A0ONZA/

http://www.amazon.com/Vita4life-Bariatric-Multivitamins-Mult i-standard-Formula/dp/B008A0EE2M/

Most Active