HELP needed...

brenlee1965
on 2/15/15 11:11 pm - New Berlin, NY
I am over 2-1/2 yrs out....I lost 157lbs and have regained 41 lbs. Freaking out! I regained due to stress mainly (which lead to poor food choices and little to no exercise). What I need is some encouragement from others that struggled and started back on track....what helped you? Let me give you some insight into my life....I am unemployed, went back to school to finish my 2 yr degree after 30+ yrs (it was hard; but I completed it). My man is a BIG guy and loves food (and I love to cook and bake). I also live in NY where is colder than cold (as you know I am forever freezing). HELP!!!!! I am sick of making excuses for my lack of exercise and weight gain.
 Bren                
Gwen M.
on 2/16/15 12:56 am
VSG on 03/13/14

If you aren't currently tracking everything you put into your mouth, start doing that.  Lots of people love MyFitnessPal.  That'll let you see what you're eating and what you need to change.  

It might also be wise to start seeing at therapist if you're not already to help learn better stress coping techniques than turning to food.  For me, exercise helps stress, so doing it even when I am stressed is a benefit.  

From there, work on figuring out what your basics are and getting back to them.  Here are my basics, yours might be slightly different.  

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
5. Avoid liquid calories (breakfast protein shake is the exception)
6. Weigh portions
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh myself daily
10. Be kind to myself

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Susan_Rae_62
on 2/21/15 9:20 am
RNY on 02/09/15

I just went through RNY and have lost only 20 lbs so far, so I'm not pretending to be an expert.  However, you asked for encouragement and I'm here to give it.  You lost 157 lbs!!!!  Wow!!! What an accomplishment.  I cannot imagine how much better you feel.  Even having lost only 20 lbs so far, I'm picturing how much harder it would be to walk around carrying that 20 lbs all day.  I want to lose 100 - 120 total, I think.  (I guess I'll know when I get there).  Just a thought, but what would you think about loading up a back pack with weight and carrying that all day?  You could also strap on ankle and wrist weights.  Just spend the day doing what you normally do and see how much more of an effort it takes just to BE.  As for me, I am sooo very excited at the thought that this summer I should be significantly thinner and able to tolerate the heat much better, which means I can get back into my gardening, which is my real passion.  Good luck!

singdoremi
on 2/22/15 1:29 am - NJ

Gwen is right on target! I am struggling as well, but I am recommitting myself to her list. Protein has to be our top priority. I know that carbs tend to be triggers for me, so I have to avoid the bad ones. Exercise is not only good for your health and body, but your mind. Just knowing that I have done this for myself puts me in great spirits! Good luck and let's check in with each other!

VSG 6/4/13
Ellen

Most Active