Iron Deficiency

suzyqrose
on 2/19/15 1:15 am - DFW, TX

I had an RNY 4.5 years ago. I now have mild anemia. What is the best kind of iron supplement to take? My physician recommended ferrous sulfate. After doing some research I'm thinking I might have better results with something else, preferably something in chewable form. It's my understanding the ferrous sulfate may cause stomach upset.

Any ideas are welcome. Thank you.

poet_kelly
on 2/19/15 7:12 am - OH

Ferrous sulfate is probably the worst kind for a RNY patient to take.  It's only about 20% elemental iron.  The rest of it is iron salts, which frequently cause constipation and may also cause an upset stomach.  Also, you need a lot of stomach acid to break it down for absorption.

I like carbonyl iron because it is all elemental iron and usually does not cause constipation or an upset stomach.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

suzyqrose
on 2/19/15 3:49 pm - DFW, TX

Thank you so much.

Jackie G.
on 2/23/15 8:07 am

Bariatric Advantage has a multi vitamin with iron and I found it much easier to take than the ferrous sulfate, which literally gagged me.  I had to have a series of 3 iron infusions, however, to get my levels up to normal because they were so low, but now I am maintaining my levels at normal with the Bariatric Advantage :)

ladyguarddogg
on 3/2/15 6:10 am
Revision on 03/06/15

you can take Vitron C it is ferrous futimate.  This is the only iron rny should use.  

suzyqrose
on 3/3/15 2:19 pm - DFW, TX

Before I saw your mesage I ordered a chewable ferrous fumarate. I hope it does the trick. It says it's well absorbed for people that had bariatric surgery. The reviews for it are generally very good. I take a lot of pills and I think a chewable is the way to go.

(deactivated member)
on 4/14/15 9:13 pm

I would suggest you to take Vita4life’s iron supplement. It does not have ferrous sulfate at all. It is healthy and is pretty good remedy for iron deficiency.

David147
on 4/22/15 3:09 pm

Here are some symptoms of iron deficiency (which can become anemia and thus serious): 
- One odd symptom is feeling like you want to eat dirt 
- Craving certain foods 
- Pale skin 
- Tired/Fatigue 
- Irritable 
- Headache 
- Feel Weak 
- Short of Breath 
- Rapid Heart Beat 
- Brittle Finger Nails 
- Poor Sleep 
- Weaker Immune System