Iron and multivitamins

MarieeHolland
on 3/4/15 8:53 am

How much iron should we get? I'm a woman, 10 years post op. I cant remember the correct amount. Also, I'm looking for a good multivitamin with iron. Any suggestions would be helpful.

poet_kelly
on 3/5/15 10:45 pm - OH

What surgery did you have?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

tonytonkin
on 3/10/15 11:43 am

How old are you post or pre menopausal?  above 200 Ferritin  level is good.  They are other factors.  Take OTC or prescribed Fe as recommended by your MD.  Not too much not too little.  Important for many things in addition to hemoglobin and red cell production to carry O2.

Ferritin the molecule that stores the Fe. For your bone marrow that makes the red blood cells. Liver Spleen involved...it get's complicated.

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/15 5:25 am

It would help to know a little about you and your surgery, and where you are at right now with your ferritin levels. You want your ferritin levels to be above 180-200 ideally. I've had RNY, and I use VIta4Life Multi-Plus formula. My surgeon swears by these products, and I've been using these multivitamins for years due to his recommendation and I've never had any lab results come back poorly. I once had a vitamin D result that was low, but that was easily fixed with additional supplements for 6 months. I take 2 in the AM, 2 at lunch, and 2 in the PM. Not knowing anything about you, it's hard to tell you how much iron you should get and really, no one but your doctor is qualified to tell you that but, you can't go wrong by trying these out. I wish you all the best! Here's the link to what I take. http://www.amazon.com/Vita4life-Bariatric-Multivitamins-Mult i-plus-Formula/dp/B008A0INO2/

Most Active