6.5 years post op, have gained 30 pounds. I need HELP

Colleenj2
on 3/8/15 9:09 am - Dearborn Heights, MI

Let me preface with the fact that I never made it to goal.  I got to within 20 pounds of my goal weight and my body refused to lose any more.  I was okay with that.  I was over 100 pounds lighter and looked and felt great.  I maintained that loss for 2 years.  Then I had to have my gallbladder out.  That following winter (approx 4 months after gb surgery), I gained 10 pounds.  I didn't get too freaked out.  I stayed steady for another year.  Then the stress kicked in from job and family complications and by the time I was 5 years post op I had gained almost 20 pounds back.  Over the last 1.5 years I have gained another 10.  I tried going on low carb and all it did was cause me constipation and only about 4 pounds of weight loss.  Obviously at nearly 7 years post op I can't go back to eating a postop diet because I would be starving all the time.  I am wondering if anyone has tried weigh****chers and if it works.  My concern is not being able to eat all my points daily because I still cannot eat more than 1/2-1 cup at a meal.  I still eat my protein first, but admit I am not always able to finish eating without having a few sips of a beverage.  What has worked for others who have faced this hurdle?

ColleenB
Preop 299
Postop 196
Current 230

Gwen M.
on 3/8/15 10:17 am
VSG on 03/13/14

If you don't already, this would be a good time to start tracking everything you put into your mouth with something like MyFitnessPal.  That will give you a better idea of what you're consuming and what you need to tweak.  From there, it's a matter of working toward getting back to your basics.  I'll list mine - you're might be slightly different.  

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
5. Avoid liquid calories (breakfast protein shake is the exception)
6. Weigh portions
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh myself daily
10. Be kind to myself

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Lisa R.
on 3/11/15 1:18 am - Waco, TX

Thank you for posting this! I needed to read this for a good reminder!

cathey9338
on 3/12/15 8:44 am - Woodbridge, VA
RNY on 06/19/12 with

I'm three years out and have gained just over 30 lbs.  I had knee surgery last week and have to be on crutches for the next four weeks.  ALL I'VE DONE since surgery is eat "whoa is me" crapola... Today I realized I'm in grave danger if I don't change something FAST. Thank you for the reminders about the basics! Thank you!!!

PS. Why isn't there more discussion about the mental health / emotional eating issues so many of us struggle with - even after surgery?! Oy!

dens
on 3/15/15 3:42 pm - Shreveport, LA

I came in the site tonight just to ask basically the same question. I am 5 yrs post op and have gained nearly all of the 80 I had lost. I too never reached my goal weight and can eat everything but fried  chicken or fried fish. I needed this list to go by. Bought new scales this weekend but have been afraid to use them. 

I agree, there needs to be more emphasis on the mental side of eating after surgery. 

Thank you! Here's to a great start on losing this weight again. 

MissNikki27
on 3/16/15 12:04 am - Bridgeport, CT

I lost about 80 lbs as well. I am slowly but surely creeping back up. I gained 23 lbs since my lowest weight. I'm trying to get back on track, but my cravings are out of control. I was thinking about trying to do the Ketosis Protein Diet again to detox. 

Gwen M.
on 3/17/15 9:32 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I see tons of discussion about mental health at least on the VSG forum.  I don't know about the other surgery boards.  But it's frequently mentioned on the VSG board that this surgery is only for our stomachs and we need to do the work to get our brains in gear!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

White Dove
on 3/16/15 12:33 am - Warren, OH

Crash diets will be the same as before surgery.  You will lose quickly and gain back quickly.  But the quick weight loss will be muscle and it will be replaced with fat.  The only way to get to goal and stay there for life is to determine how many calories you need to eat and not go over those calories.

Weight loss will not be fast, but it will come off and stay off as long as you do not overeat.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

AdeanaMarie
on 3/18/15 5:06 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

I am three years out and struggling as well.  Never made my goal, lost 135 and have gained about 25, give or take the day and water weight.  Very frustrating.  I know it is emotional.  I know it is because I use food as a crutch and not as sustenance for my body.  I have just started going to the gym in Dec (gained 5 pounds at that time), I think I mentally thought I needed to eat more to have energy for the gym.  Ha!

I am also focusing on a 100 Days of Real Food.  I think we can get caught in the trap of eating so much processed junk, fat free fake food and artificial sweeteners we fail to see that there is no nutritional value in what we are eating.

Also, I believe most of my success was because of the counseling I did before and after surgery.  I learned to love myself, forgive and understand that I am blessed.  To stop focusing on all the negatives and start seeing the successes.  I have let negative thinking and emotions creep back in.

With that said ladies, let's get on track.  Let's love ourselves enough to care what we are putting in our bodies, let's move it (before we lose it), even short walks throughout the day are great.  Get some sunshine, take your vitamin D and Calcium.  Do not forget your B vitamins.  I think so far out from surgery we forget we still need all those and how helpful they are to our emotional state.

Most of all, know that God loves you, HE wants the best for you.  So ask for HIM to help you do the best for yourself!

No major answers... just a pep talk that helped me... hope it helps others.

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

ANGIE0502
on 3/19/15 6:55 am

Almost 5 years out and having the same issues.  I've gained back 40 lbs overall.  I briefly hit my goal for about 2 days.  I'm struggling too now to take off weight.  I can maintain till the cows come home.  I've falling back into some old habits.  I can't say watch a weight loss group will do except feed you over priced food.  The main thing I've heard, and still need to implement, is protein protein protein.  There is only 2 protein drinks I can tolerate. I thank you for bringing this up and will gladly watch for other replies.

Angie
"Assumption is the root of many problems"

Most Active