2 Weeks post-op and I still can't eat.....

RandaB88
on 3/11/15 8:12 am
with

I am almost 2 weeks post-op and the only thing I can tolerate is water and some sugar free popsicles. Is this normal? Everything I have tried is so nasty tasting, my protein shakes (which I liked before surgery), apple sauce, eggs, tuna, etc... everything taste gross and feels like it gets stuck in my chest. Is this normal? Does it get better?

Phyllis55
on 3/12/15 4:59 am

Randa--

I am new here, but have you tried sugar free jello's?  My nutritionist said that I could drink it or add it to my protein shakes.  See if that helps.

Phyllis

God bless you,

Phyllis

singdoremi
on 3/12/15 10:39 am - NJ

Try creamed soups, broth, sf jello, sf pudding, sf ice pops. It will get better and you have to stay hydrated.

VSG 6/4/13
Ellen

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/15 9:18 pm - Pompano Beach, FL

should try broth

Linda L.
on 3/14/15 11:55 pm
RNY on 02/17/15

I am 3 weeks post op and I experienced the same thing!  It is weird to me to not have interest in food....I had to cut out all SF stuff because I can't tolerate it right now it gave me Loose Bowels..TMI I know...lol.

Try Gatorade ie 1 cup Gatorade 1 cup water mixed.  You can do the same with apple juice.  It DOES get better! Are you taking your chewable vitamins? This is all new to me too feel free to friend me and we can do this TOGETHER!

I agree with trying the broth....it tasted SOOOO GOOD to me!

RandaB88
on 3/15/15 12:04 am
with

Thank you so much for the advice. I tried the broth and I did not like the taste. It's like my taste buds have went bad. I will try the Gatorade and apple juice though. Having water all day everyday is getting old. As far as the chewable vitamins, I have not started. I wasn't sure if it was too soon. 

Linda L.
on 3/15/15 12:54 am
RNY on 02/17/15

My nutritionist was the one who explained that I can't do jus****er my body needs water and the other nutrients in the juice and Gatorade. Just don't over do the juices. Personally I love orange and grape Gatorade.  Have you tried buying a can soup and draining off the broth? I did that with Progresso soup and it was soooooo good! Hang in there and keep in touch.

Laura in Texas
on 3/15/15 1:02 am, edited 3/15/15 1:02 am

Very common and happens to many of us. Try to find samples of things to see what you can tolerate. Vitalady sells protein samples on her website. Have you tried drinking from a kiddie cup with a lid? That helps mask the small of whatever you are drinking. Slimfast high protein shakes were my go-to meal early out. It does get better. Drink as much water as you can while you work on the rest.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

psren13
on 3/29/15 6:38 am - NC
VSG on 03/11/15

I am only 18 days out but I know what you are going through.  Whenever I eat or drink too fast, I get that lump in the middle of my chest.  Also happens when I want that "one last bite".  Hard to remember that our new stomach will only hold about 2 ounces at this point.  My doc has just transitioned me to eggs and tuna.  I like eggs but the tuna sure tastes different now.  I had to stop most stuff with splenda or the stuff that ends in -tol due to too much stomach noises and issues.  I found coconut crystals at Vitacost which I am using in place of.  Herbal teas are good at this point also,  my fav is chamomile and mint mixed  Both are good for your stomach.  

Most Active