My diet

TeenSleever
on 4/8/15 12:46 pm, edited 4/8/15 12:57 pm

Hello fellow sleevers!

So far i am 8 months out, having lost 80+ pounds. I only have 30ish more pounds to go but i am finding myself a bit sick of eating low carb but i am willing to push through it 😊 i just have a question on what i am eating so far because i have been solely living on eggs lean meats and light cheeses. I am now incorporating other types of protein sources because i am still having a lot of trouble getting all my protein in, so i added a pure protein bar. I am also getting the feeling like i can eat a lot more than i should and i am honestly worried that i might have stretched my sleeve. By the way does anyone have tips on eating out? I am still a teen and like to go out to restaurants with my friends but i always feel left out when I don't eat and it becomes kinda overwhelming to me to order anything.

Sorry if it's too long but here is what I have eaten today:

Breakfast:

1 cooked egg no oil

Snack:

1 silhouette fat free yogurt container (40 calorie ones)

At school lunch:

5 small slices of very thinly sliced deli beef and 2 light laughing cow cheese wedges

Snack:

1 pure protein bar (amazing btw!)

Dinner:

8 medium sized shrimps

thanks in advance!

oh and i seem to have lost weight everywhere except for my stomach. I mean its a lot smaller but it is really bothering me, the fact that i have a belly hanging. It looks aweful and i am very insecure about it. So any ideas on what to do? 

Gwen M.
on 4/9/15 1:56 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You probably have lost weight in your stomach and what you're seeing is excess skin.  Or the fat in your stomach will be the last to go, which is pretty common.  

Your eating looks good to me.  You might want to see a therapist to help you with the feelings you're experiencing about going out with your friends.  A therapist could also help you figure out techniques about what to order so you don't feel left out.  

I go out not infrequently, and can always find something I can eat on a menu.  I'm sure you can too!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

momjan
on 4/18/15 2:22 am - Canada

When I go out, I look for soups that are not cream based.....maybe like a beef barley or minestrone.  If I want a burger, I ask for no bun and eat it with a knife and fork.  Or a curry bowl but ask for no rice or noodles...sometimes they add extra veggies.  Or a grilled chicken salad....most places will gladly remove the carbs - potatoe s, rice, pasta from a lot of dishes....just make sure you look for dishes that are sort of separately cooked, so not, say, chicken penne because they can`t really separate it well...... does that make sense?

You are doing SO well; keep up the good work!!!!

Jose1954
on 4/21/15 8:58 am, edited 4/21/15 8:58 am

I had my sleeve done on March 9th.  I find that if I ask for one scrambled egg white with diced tomato and minced ham it works very well.  I also have asked for applesauce (nonsweetened) with it,  I take home what I can't eat which is usually a little over half. 

chulbert
on 4/22/15 1:02 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I don't say this very often but I don't think you're eating enough.  You should have absolutely zero issues eating sufficient protein at 8-months post-op.  I'm a RNY patient and I would be starving if I ate as little as this.

For example, a pretty typical breakfast for me is 3 egg whites on an Ezekiel english muffin.  That's 210 calories and 19 grams of protein.

Unfortunately there's nothing anyone can do about where they lose the weight.  It'll all be gone in the end.  :)

TeenSleever
on 4/27/15 7:32 am, edited 4/27/15 7:36 am

Oh wow!

Unless it's a protein bar like pure protein, I would never manage 200 calories in one go, it would be too much. And the thing is that eating now is more of a chore and when I do eat, it feels like a snake swallowing a rat, it feels like concrete in my stomach (maybe that's why I thought i was eating too much?). That's why I tend to eat the same thing everyday, or else, I would even eat less. So far, I barely tip 55 grams of protein with 20 grams coming from the protein bar. 

Or maybe i am just being paranoid about stretching my sleeve?

Thank you very very much though 😄

PS-your before and after pics are AMAZING!

chulbert
on 4/27/15 9:55 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

At 8 months post-op eating should not be a chore, you should be able to meet your nutritional needs through food without supplements, and you should frankly be eating like a pretty normal person.  If you can't or aren't then I'm a little concerned for a couple reasons...

First, you need to be able to maintain a healthy body weight and that means consuming probably 1,200 - 1,500 calories per day.  Based on your sample meal you probably aren't even getting half that.  You do not want to be malnourished.

Second, if you are maybe exaggerating a little and this is mostly in your head, switching from what you're eating to a maintenance level of food overnight is going to be quite an adjustment.  Ideally you should gradually eat more and more "normal" and your weight loss will slowly converge on your target weight.  You're still eating like a fresh post-op in terms of calories.

For the love of God tell me you're rock solid on your vitamin regimen.

I wish you the best and thanks for the compliment.  It's been a wild ride!

momjan
on 5/2/15 3:30 am - Canada

Amazing how different everyone is!  At 8 months out I still was only eating about 1/2 per meal.  Even now I don't eat bread, etc as too many carbs.  A loaf of low cal bread can last me 6 weeks easily!  Breakfast this morning was one egg, 1 oz light cheddar cheese and about 1.5 oz of italian sausage and onions.

As a male, you can usually burn more calories than a woman (look at people on WW; they women always complain that the men loose greater amounts eating the same foods; they burn them!)

Eating high protein, low bad carbs can be easily achieved (for OP), by staying away from a lot of potatoes, rice, pasta, etc. and substituting healthy carbs.  Using black bean pasta, instead of white flour pasta is a good substitute; so is using spaghetti squash and matchstick zucchini.  Remember the taste on substitutions may not be exactly the same, but if you keep that in mind and that you are eating things actually good for you, you will enjoy them!  I also use zucchini strips in place of lasagna noodles.  Red lentils and chicken bouillon with a bit of butter satisfies my carby days....there are lots of things to try!!

I rarely do crackers, etc. because if I keep them in the house, they call my name........! 

As I said before, you are doing fantastically!

Most Active