I Need of Savory Meals!

LuckyDuck
on 5/31/15 9:41 am

I am a little over 4 weeks out and doing pretty good on regular foods, though I haven't attempted things like rice, bread, steak, noodles, etc yet. I am so sick of eggs, tuna, salmon and cheese. I just started being able to tolerate ground turkey well - still not sure about ground beef. Borderline on chicken.

Anyway, I am desperate for some ideas for meals, especially breakfast! And especially meals that are easy and quick. I can't look at one more bowl of yogurt or cottage cheese. And ESPECIALLY protein shakes, I am so over those right now. Just thinking about that aftertaste makes me feel a little sick.

So, in conclusion, any high-protein, savory meal ideas are welcome!! Thanks in advance!!

29yo, 5'2" ? Sleeved 4-29-15 ? HW: 255.6 ? SW: 246.5 ? CW: 160 ? GW: 155.6

AmyDee123
on 6/1/15 8:13 am - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

I know you said you are tired of eggs, but have you thought about making a quiche?  For me, quiche tastes nothing like normal eggs, and have a real savory flavor.  I would stay away from the breads and rice and pasta, but give meat a try.  Maybe a sausage, or a ground beef patty.  a RNY friend of mine makes these little meatloafs in cupcake tins and freezes them.  He takes them out, nukes them, and puts a spoonful of salsa or ricotta cheese on top.  How are you preparing your eggs that make them too mundane for you?  Have you tried using egg beaters and making an omelette with a ton of stuff in it?  (more stuff than egg)  The egg beaters allows you to just use half an egg worth, and you can cut up some ham, cheese, onion and tomato.  Or some goat cheese and spinach leaves.  I'm a huge omelette fanatic, and just recently found out I am allergic to egg protein.  Found that if the ratio is more other stuff than egg I am ok and don't get the stomach cramps so my plan is to get really creative with the omelette.  

As for lunch and dinner the meatloaf, or meat and cheese roll ups, crab salad in lettuce cups (I can give you the recipe if interested) and other protein rich options can be tweaked easily.  Its hard but I watch a lot of food network.  There is always some recipe I can tweak to be on program and make into small batches.  Just focus on protein first, try all the meats to see what you can tolerate and what you can't, and get creative!  You will be amazed at the number of ways you can change up the same old ingredients.  

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

akanikkie
on 6/1/15 12:07 pm
VSG on 04/27/15

I also have been adding a few things to the eggs to make it more interesting - hot sauces,mushrooms, a little bit of low fat cheese, salsa and turkey sausage sometimes.  I have to really chew the turkey sausage.  I also have made tortillaless burritos (ground turkey, taco seasoning or enchilada sauce, low fat refried beans, cheese, salsa and low fat cottage cheese.  I even ate a Garden Burger with jalepeno cheese this morning.  I am finding that I definitely want more spices on my food.  Salsa has become my new friend lol.  Best wishes!

HW: 448; SW: 376; CW: 321

LuckyDuck
on 6/1/15 1:16 pm

Thanks everyone for the ideas! BTW, I didn't mean that I was planning on *trying* bread, rice and pasta (though I did have a peice or sushi and it seemed to stay down ok, but was such a hassle to eat!), just that those items, besides red meat, are basically the only things I haven't tried yet.

I LOVE goat cheese - what a great idea! I am going to try that in my eggs. Frittatas a great idea too. My oven is out of commission currently, but I will be making those mini egg quiche things to grab for breakfast as soon as I can bake 'em. Also, something called "cloud bread" I found on pintrest, which would be awesome for an egg or lox sandwich, since I think I'm craving a chewy texture in my food, as well. 

Also, do you guys have days where you feel like you can't eat anything, and some days where you feel hungry all the time? Yesterday was one of the days where I had to force myself to eat, and today I was hungry from the second I woke up. Which actually caused me to eat too fast, which in turn made me throw up, and now I'm feeling pretty sick and tired. Blah. This is so hard!! My mind and my stomach have to catch up!!!

29yo, 5'2" ? Sleeved 4-29-15 ? HW: 255.6 ? SW: 246.5 ? CW: 160 ? GW: 155.6

AmyDee123
on 6/1/15 9:29 pm - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

I'm still preop so every day seems like I am starving.  I am esp starving now cause i am on the liquid diet and craving something to just chew.  But I have the band and remember the time after that i had to relearn how to eat.

Another idea, since you mentioned sushi...Have you tried sashimi?  Raw fish cuts without the rice.  Tuna and salmon are the BEST for this.  low sodium soy and a little wasabi.  its just tons of protein, different flavor, and a lot of fun.  Also, try some steamed spring rolls.  This is something you can make yourself, and you can pack them full of minced shrimp.  There are lots of recipes online for these too.

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

ashleyyy
on 6/6/15 10:44 am, edited 6/6/15 10:44 am

There's A LOT of recipes on Pinterest.. I found sooo many food ideas- I'm never bored!

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/15 12:36 am - Pompano Beach, FL
Make the meals more interesting by adding sauces, low carb cheese
lbmoore0
on 7/28/15 1:33 pm

Do you like Tofu?

Sweebra
on 10/23/15 7:51 pm

I know chicken is questionable for you but one of my go to meals for full flavor is taking canned chicken and flaking it up real good then adding Frank's wing sauce. They say zero calories per teaspoon but I'm sure there are some and there is a lot of sodium. Then I stick a laughing cow in it or top it with low fat cheese and microwave it until it's all hot and melty. It's like a buffalo chicken dip but lots of protein.

Most Active