Vitamin D

BeachPat
on 6/12/15 11:24 am

I am taking Vitamin D3 (50,000) once a day along with Vitamin K, but my vitamin D level is still very low. (It did go from 22 to 30 after adding the vitamin K.) Should I also add calcium to the mix for better results? Does anyone take more than 1 50,000 vit. D pill a day? Thanks.

RNY (1997) at 338 lbs.;revision (2001); Failed StompahyX in 2007; DS (2008) at 268 lbs.

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/15 1:46 am - Pompano Beach, FL
No it will high dosage.... Or just consult doctor before
mariarturner
on 8/6/15 10:43 am

That’s a massive amount of Vitamin D, and there are two ways you can better absorb Vitamin D. First, you require magnesium because it’s better at converting vitamin D into its active form than vitamin K and it also is very beneficial to your Calcium supplement. Second, and I realize this isn’t the safest method, but take 15 minutes each day in a tank and shorts and let the sun do it’s thing. This isn’t a permanent solution obviously, but it will help raise your levels faster than supplements alone and get you in to a safety zone. Now, I suffered from deficiency as well, and I ADORE Vita4Life Vitamin D and Calcium. Their calcium is chelated! I’ll link you their product page so you can take a look, but I really recommend not upping your Vitamin D but switching your mineral to aid absorption and honestly… switching to a very good filler-free bariatric vitamin. It saved me from this very issue.

BeachPat
on 8/7/15 1:22 pm

Thanks!  Do you take Vita4Life calcium separate from the Vitamin D? Which of their calcium choices (they usually have several) do you use?  I live at the beach so I do spend lots of time in the sun! :-)

RNY (1997) at 338 lbs.;revision (2001); Failed StompahyX in 2007; DS (2008) at 268 lbs.

mariarturner
on 8/13/15 4:23 am

You're very welcome. I'm glad to hear you're getting some sun. That will help a lot! I take the 2 calcium in the morning, 1 of their vitamin D mid day and the second half of the calcium dosage in the evening. Their calcium already contains 200IU of vitamin D3 so be sure to include that into your daily intake. Their Vitamin D3 supplement contains 30,000IU in one dosage, so that's quite a lot. You could very easily just take a magnesium supplement with your mid-day dosage and see how you do with that after a few months.

stacy T.
on 10/25/15 10:30 pm - San Francisco, CA

I know it's been months but I wanted you to know that I take 2x 50,000iu of D a day. I run low on all the fat soluble vitamins. I have my current list of meds and supplements here: Recent blog post

Most Active