1 month post VSG, question about caloric intake

Mathew M.
on 7/20/15 2:01 pm

hi all,  I am exactly 1 month out from my VSG.  I was really lucky in that things went completely smoothly, I was up and on my feet in just a few hours, and have not had a single problem taking in my required liquids and protein since the very beginning.  Haven't thrown up even once, nor have I experienced any heart burn or indigestion.  I lost 22 pounds in the three months leading up to surgery, and have lost a whopping 26 in the month since.  All in all I am feeling f@#%'n amazing and wish I had done this years ago.

My question...I know that we should do everything we can to take advantage of the honeymoon stage.  I am still not on a completely full texture diet...still have 2 weeks of chopped foods to go.  Per day, I have been averaging between 75 and 90 grams of protein with a total caloric intake of between 650 and 750.   Does this sound right?  What were others doing during their first several months as they strove to meet their goals?  I am not hungry, which is amazing, and part of me feels like I could actually lower my caloric intake. 

I would love to hear from others their thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks.

Mathew

49 years old, male.

5'11", HW:306, SW:284, CW:194.5, Goal:195lbs.VSG 6/19/15, Dr. Scott Cunneen at Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles.

jeepsportgirl
on 8/22/15 5:55 pm
VSG on 08/10/15

I'm just starting pureed food stage (about 2 weeks post-op). I wasn't given a caloric target, just 60-80 grams protein a day. Do you feel that counting calories has been helpful to you? And may I ask what you were eating to get your required protein in? I'm so worried about not hitting that target!

Thanks. 

5'7" HW: 280.2 Consult Weight: 266.2 SW: 253 (VSG: 8/10/15) CW:219 

Mathew M.
on 8/22/15 6:23 pm

Hi Jeepsport,

Congrats on your surgery.

For me, it does help to monitor my caloric intake.  I have never been very good at moderation.  I suppose all of us suffer from that to some degree or we wouldn't be here, would we?  I am afraid to simply leave myself up to my own devices as it were.  That has obviously not worked for me in the past.   I have become very reliant upon Myfitnesspal.  I log EVERYTHING that I eat, and I set my goals in terms of percentages to make sure I'm hitting my protein goal first, and then don't go too far on the fat and carbs.  It works very well for me.  I can look at my progress throughout the day on the Nutrition page and then decide what foods I need to eat to hit my protein goals and stay within my carb and fat limits. 

For the most part, I have been planning in my entire day (except for dinner in general) including all snacks and lunch ahead of time.  Either in the morning or the night before and I log everything in as I pack my cooler bag with all that I will need for the day.  This makes things so much easier for me.  There is no decision making when it comes time to eat.  I know exactly what I will eat because I have it logged into my app and I have it prepared and sitting in my cooler bag. 

Again, this works for ME.  Each of us has to come up with his or her own way of living.  I am being very fastidious about it, especially now in the first 6 months because I not only want to hit my goal as soon as possible and really take advantage of the honeymoon period, but I also want to use this time to really teach myself new habits that will carry me through a lifetime of healthy eating and healthy weight maintenance. 

Try different things and see what works for you.

Mathew

49 years old, male.

5'11", HW:306, SW:284, CW:194.5, Goal:195lbs.VSG 6/19/15, Dr. Scott Cunneen at Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles.

Most Active