newbie preparing for gastric bypass question about nutritionist

anita2bennetts
on 7/20/15 11:48 am - Elkton, MD

hello all,

I am a newbie here and this is my first post.  I am in the preparation stage for gastric bypass.  I have to have 6 months of nutrition appointments per my health insurance provider, Cigna so currently I am meeting with the nutritionist and getting all of the pre-op stuff done.  Looking at end of October or beginning of November as a surgery date.  I have my fourth nutritionist appointment this Friday.

I am 5'2" and 235 pounds.

My nutritionist is really mean to me and is forcing me to lose weight prior to surgery.  I am trying.  I swear I am and after cutting out all soda and working out I lost 6 pounds.  She wanted me to lose another 5 pounds but sadly I got depressed at trying to do everything I am suppose to do for her and gained 4 pounds back.  I am so scared to go to my nutritionist appointment this Friday because I know she is going to yell at me.  Literally.  She will yell.  She is not nice at all.  She has not come out and said it but she implies that if I don't lose this weight she won't allow me to have the surgery which confuses me as she is just the nutritionist.

My question is has anyone here had their surgery delayed or cancelled because of not meeting weight loss goals per their nutritionist prior to surgery?  Does a nutritionist have that kind of power?  thanks all.  I am really in a sensitive state right now so please no shaming or negative kindness.

thanks

Leah

Felicity Q.
on 7/20/15 1:05 pm
DS on 09/28/15

Hi Leah,

You need to get a new nutritionist. Period.

They are supposed to give you tools to help with your success, not shame and yell at you.  I am appalled that this is happening to you!  Seriously, find someone else!

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

JazzyOne9254
on 7/31/15 6:29 am

Fire her.  Quickly.

If you are part of a multidisciplinary program, see if there is another dietitian/nutritionist you can work with, and report her behavior to the program.  It may just be a personality clash, or she may be treating others the same.

Nevertheless, don't take mistreatment from anyone, no matter how badly you want the surgery.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Lisa09
on 8/1/15 3:45 pm - NH

Congrats on posting and moving forward for your health.  I agree with the others about a new nutritionist. You are the customer and deserve to be treated as such. However, sometimes the nutritionist, as part of the WLS "team", can indeed put a stop on you moving forward. I'd advise asking the program director for another nutritionist with whom you can feel more connected.  I'd advise being careful as to how you word your request and try to be diplomatic.  I had my WLS delayed for 6 months b/c the "team" felt I needed weekly therapy. It was very depressing since the social worker/psych eval cleared me to go through. 

Most Active