Is Eating Ice Bad for You?

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/15 12:24 am - Pompano Beach, FL

Pica is a disorder where people feel the urge to eat items of little or no nutritional value, such as soil, chalk, sand, or glass. This disorder generally occurs amongst children and people who have developmental issues.

Pagophagia is a form of pica—it’s a disorder where people have the constant urge to consume ice, or iced drinks. But, why is eating ice bad for you? Chomping on a piece of ice may appear to be a seeminglyharmless habit, but it can actually be detrimental to your teeth.

http://www.doctorshealthpress.com/food-and-nutrition-article s/is-eating-ice-bad-for-you

MaronitaMay
on 7/28/15 12:57 am

I wonder if you might even sub conscientiously being chewing on ice to prevent you from overeating.  I know for myself that I drink a LOT of flavored water in order not to overeat.  I drink between 84 - 120 oz of flavored water EVERYDAY.  I know also for myself, I need to be careful and NOT to drink to much water as one can drown from drinking to much liquid.  Someone near where I live DID drown from CONSUMING to much liquid!

hollykim
on 7/29/15 2:23 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 28, 2015 at 12:24 AM Pacific Time, Lisa C. wrote:

Pica is a disorder where people feel the urge to eat items of little or no nutritional value, such as soil, chalk, sand, or glass. This disorder generally occurs amongst children and people who have developmental issues.

Pagophagia is a form of pica—it’s a disorder where people have the constant urge to consume ice, or iced drinks. But, why is eating ice bad for you? Chomping on a piece of ice may appear to be a seeminglyharmless habit, but it can actually be detrimental to your teeth.

http://www.doctorshealthpress.com/food-and-nutrition-article s/is-eating-ice-bad-for-you

craving ice can be the sign of dangerously low iron level. I found this out from experience and ended up having a blood transfusion and two rounds of IV iron.

cathytreat
on 7/30/15 11:58 pm

Teeth are made up of enamel and dentin.If we are eating the ice then we are putting a great deal of pressure on our teeth and it is bad for enamel, which can cause cracks or chips. When the enamel is chipped and dentin is exposed,  teeth will weaken and experience sensitivity.And it bad for the germs.I read some articles from the best custom essays about the eating ice and teeth ,if you have interest read it.

Mathew M.
on 8/25/15 12:47 pm

When I was a kid, my uncle Al (of blessed memory) warned me that if you eat ice, the knot in your belly button would untie and your tushy would fall off.

You have been warned.  If you choose to eat ice, you do so at your own risk.

49 years old, male.

5'11", HW:306, SW:284, CW:194.5, Goal:195lbs.VSG 6/19/15, Dr. Scott Cunneen at Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles.

alma_olson
on 8/29/15 5:25 pm
RNY on 08/18/15

Craving ice is most definitely pica and a symptom of iron deficiency anemia.

Most Active