Greek yogurt?

tattitude
on 10/2/15 10:38 pm

I see quite a few people posting their meals for the day and they seem to include a lot of Greek Yogurt. I tried it and I hate it! Does it have to be GREEK or will a regular yogurt do as long as it is non-fat and low carbs?

Ticker 87883

Height:  5' 8"  Initial Consultation:  10/6/2015  HW:  286.5   CW:  277

Shel25
on 10/3/15 8:51 am

It doesn't have to be Greek although I just had plain greek yogurt with a few berries thrown in and it was delicious!

Go with what you like and fits your plan. Yogurt doesn't have a boatload of protein in it and I consider it a slider food so I don't rely on it too much in general. But, when I do, I think about how it fits into my protein/carbs/calories for the day because I watch all three to varying degrees.

You will just need to find one you like (no need to eat stuff you don't like!) that works into YOUR daily plan.

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

quiltnsuzn
on 10/7/15 10:50 am

Greek yogurt is quite a bit more protein because it is concentrated. I hate most of it but found one that has a light consistency and I love it. It is Danon Greek Light and Fit 80 cal. 12 grams of protein. I love it in vanilla and cherry. It took me a couple of months after surgery to like any yogurt or sweet flavors. This one is very different.

MelodyMay
on 10/9/15 1:57 pm, edited 10/9/15 3:50 pm
RNY on 03/01/16

I personally love Greek Yogurt, but it has to have some kind of flavor. It's healthier for you than regular Yogurt and contains healthy probiotics. Zoi's Honey and Strawberry Cream are my go to's when I need a sweet treat. You do have to measure it out because it's easy to eat a lot of it very quickly. The plain and vanilla are too bland for me but they are great if you mix in a bit of granola.

HKT53
on 10/10/15 10:36 pm - Toronto, Canada

You will be surprised with the taste of things after surgery. (Assuming you have not had surgery yet). Honestly I hated greek yogurt before my RNY and when i was able to incl in my diet, i thought "no way". But a few weeks ago, i took a small amount and sprinkled bran buds on top and a few berries. It went down quite well. Now I have about 1/4 cup three times a week. It can be breakfast, or a snack. I cant explain it, just feels right in my pouch. I try things from time to time -- sometimes I cant tolerate and other times I can.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

cheapskate
on 10/12/15 9:36 pm
RNY on 03/30/15

Always hated it before, strongly disliked it after. I have a moody little pouch and he likes it so iate it. Now I enjoy it. Dannon light & fit vanilla, or the elusive caramel apple pie are my favorites. I sprinkle in pampered chef cinnamon plus and it's awesome! When my protein count is low I will eat a Fage 0% with a scoop of peanut butter quest protein powder(I think it is 41 proteins for 190 calories).

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/13/15 12:52 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

No need to stock up on it now, but give it another try post - op. It might taste better then - it has 12 gms of protein per serving vs only 5-6 for regular SF yogurt. Later on - after a year or so, the gms of protein might not matter so much depending on the rest of your diet. For me, shortly after surgery, every gm of protein was important.

Sharon

AngloAm
on 10/15/15 11:25 am

I prefer the Greek kind - it's creamier. I get the 0% fat Greek yogurt from Chobani or Fage, and I add some Splenda and some sugar-free coffee flavouring syrups and if I'm up to it some flax seed meal. Or I stir chocolate protein powder into it.

SLEEVED 21 May 14 with Dr. B. Greene. Max weight 470 lifetime; 395 pre-op; goal weight 190. Current weight 217; 178 lost so far, 27 to go and keep off.

Manndragorra
on 10/15/15 7:44 pm

You might give the yoplait Greek whips a try. Sadly I don't know the nutrition off hand but it is very light and doesnt have that Greek feel to it.

tattitude
on 10/16/15 11:38 pm

I browsed through two sections of yogurts in Meijer's tonight. There is NO yogurt of any kind that is low carbs. Most I looked at had around 12 g of sugars per serving. Granted, our serving size isn't as large as theirs but I thought the whole idea was to limit carb intake and get protein instead. Some yogurts have only 2-3 g of protein! In my mind, hardly worth eating.

Most Active