New sleever trying to cope with change

Rodrme
on 10/18/15 8:49 pm

Today, I walked a few miles and I got sick. I was light headed, anxious and felt nauseous. I kept hydrated but even that didn't help. I was unable to drink a protein shake because I felt sick. I am getting headaches more frequently too. Anybody felt the same?

My surgery was October 6, 2015.

SilverGirl2015
on 10/19/15 11:12 am

I don't know what your Drs. recommend, and not knowing what kind of shape you are in, my first thought was that you should give your body and chance to heal. I know I way underestimated the time it would take to heal and get my energy back. I was definitely not walking "a few miles" 2 weeks post op - I tried, but felt awful. Try not to over do it, and listen to what your body is telling you. At three months out, I feel amazing, full energy, walking etc. You'll do great!! You'll see!!

Chanti_
on 10/19/15 1:00 pm - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're probably only taking in 500-600 cals a day at this point. That's not enough fuel to sustain a walk of a few miles even if you took it easy. Especially not even 2 weeks post-op. You have been calorie restricted with the pre-op diet and severely restricted week one I imagine. There is no reserve to draw on at this point, so when you over exert it's a quick cascade to feeling miserable.

As for the headaches.. did you give up cafeine? I did and i had a couple of of monster headaches the first week or two. I know headaches can be a symptom of dehydration, but you said your intake is good so I'm stumped. If these symptoms persist you should give your surgeon a call.

Neesie57
on 10/19/15 7:58 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

You're only 2 weeks out, so you need to take more time to heal. At a week out, I was walking about 2,000 steps a day. At 2 weeks I was walking about 3,000 a day. That's about a mile for me, so I didn't pu**** too fast. You just had major surgery, so give it some time. Concentrate on learning to use your new sleeve before you go too exercise crazy.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Rodrme
on 10/19/15 8:35 pm

Thanks for all the advice and support. I'm going to start taking it easy and try not to push myself. Working through the diet restrictions and not being able to exercise has really made me stress. But I will continue to follow my Doctor's orders. Yes I did give up caffeine and that's probably why my headaches are so frequent. I'm keeping hydrated. My incisions are healing as well. Thank you again.

Most Active