1 week post-op, full liquid diet, and suffering

jennabee13
on 10/18/15 4:54 pm

Any tips on getting through the next few weeks? I am a week post-op and feel like death. Nothing tastes good. Everything makes my stomach hurt. I get full REALLY fast. Most days I am getting my protein in, but I am having a hard time getting all the required fluids in. Premier protein shakes have saved my life. The only shake I can tolerate. I just never feel hungry or thirsty anymore. Please tell me this goes away over time.

sleevedinseptember
on 10/19/15 6:38 pm

Sorry to hear you're having a hard time. It definitely gets much better, day by day. Something that helped me was having my liquids at room temperature or even warm (water especially). I also had to drink very, very slowly. I am a little over 3 weeks and the way I got through the first 2 weeks was by telling myself everything I was drinking was not about taste or enjoyment. It's about giving your body enough hydration and nourishment so that your stomach can begin to heal. It's about making sure you take care of yourself.

Each week has gotten better and better. I am still learning how to eat and slowly re-introducing things but my primary focus is getting enough protein and liquid, regardless of taste. Try to drink slowly - small sips constantly, even when you don't feel like it. In a way, it's a huge mental thing. You have to just tell yourself you can do this and you will get through it.

I find the Unjury protein powders really palatable. In the clear and full liquids stage you can use their Chicken Soup and Strawberry Sorbet flavor. The Chocolate Splendor is also good. I take my time and sip it slowly over 30 to 45 minutes.

Neesie57
on 10/19/15 8:02 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

You need to live by the mantra, sip, sip, sip, even if you're not thirsty. Small sips, as often as possible, will help you to keep fully hydrated. Keep drinking those protein shakes, they are part of your liquids, so they are helping you more than you know.

I had surgery 8/4/15 and had no real hunger since then. That's one of the great things about the sleeve, the lack of hunger. It helps you get through the first week, months, or even years.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

LisaKelley
on 10/20/15 2:43 pm

It does go away... just give it time. I felt exactly how you felt. I am 3.5 weeks out.

You are doing great. Every day gets better.

Eytria
on 10/22/15 11:35 am
VSG on 09/22/15

first 2 weeks were not kind to me either. The protein shakes were just TOO sweet for me after surgery and it was almost impossible to choke down. Water has become my best friend and the only thing that does not make me feel ill. Sip, Sip, Sip was the absolute best advise anyone could give you. Hang in there I am at 4 weeks and was released for exercise and soft foods. It has made a HUGE difference and things are looking up.

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/15 7:19 pm

To ge****er I had an app on my phone that beeped every 15 minutes to remind me to sip my water/protein shake and that helped--after a week of beeping I was able to turn it off and the sipping habit seems to have stuck.

Most Active