Calorie intake at 4 weeks

Eytria
on 10/21/15 9:43 pm
VSG on 09/22/15

So I am curious what others are doing at 4 weeks post-op, I am averaging 400-600 calories per day and getting my minimum of 30 min cardio and started some basic weight training. BUT.... my scale says I'm stalling out for over a week at 255. Granted this morning my scale was nice to me and dropped me 253 lol yes I double checked it at the gym just to make sure my scale wasn't broken. after my 2 week check up I was put on soft foods and my energy levels have mellowed out for the most part. Some mashed potatoes have saved me from sugar drops and passing out. ( Everything is WAY too sweet for me now) but I am getting the feeling ( ONLY AT NIGHT ) that either I'm hungry or that dinner doesn't want to digest, can't tell which so I sip on water ALL the time and it seems to be my only friend right now. So here I am, ANY AND ALL FEED BACK IS WELCOMED.

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/15 7:17 pm

I'm only two weeks out, but on Monday my bariatric nutritionist said a common problem in the first couple of months is not getting enough calories (less than 800 for a sedentary woman) and that lowers your energy levels and hurts weight loss.

If you have a nutritionist obviously you should ask them, but maybe an extra protein shake during the day might boost your energy levels and get the inner furnace burning again.

If you're legitimately eating 600 calories a day that seems like the only reason you wouldn't be dropping weight. With daily exercise you should be dropping weight even at 1000 calories a day, really.

Note: I don't know crap about crap, so take that for what it's worth :)

Good luck!

Chanti_
on 10/23/15 7:31 am - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

I was also 4 weeks out yesterday (YAY US!) and my calorie intake yesterday was 634 as per MFP. I get anywhere between 600-800 a day on average. I think 400 is too low @ 4 weeks, especially if your doing 30mins of cardio per day. No wonder you are near to passing out, your not getting enough fuel. My surgeon said to shoot for around 700-800 a day.

I make a point to always get my 70 gms of protein, and I try hard to get my water in but often fall short of the 64 oz. I found it easier when I was on a liquid diet and when I'm at work I always have a glass of water at hand it's when I'm home that I slack. My goal this week is to drink drink drink.. So good on you for getting your water in.

You've heard of the three week stall yes? It can last up to 2 weeks I've heard, I didn't loose last week either. There's a physical reason for the stall I just can't remember what it is. If you search 3 week stall on the site there is a lot of info about it. I'm not going to sweat it though. At 600-800 cals/day the weight will come off. Have faith and work the program, and you will see results.

Can I tell you my surgeon recommends that his patients do not weigh themselves at all (yeah right like that's going to happen), and if we must no more then once a week. I can't quite do that yet, right now I still must know what's happening every 3rd day or so. He prefers that his patients assess mainly by how our clothes are fitting. Mine were quite tight before surgery for the most part, and now everything is sooo loose. I bet yours are too. It's good to be a loser for a change.

Funny, Like you, I've developed the same intolerance to sweet drinks and foods. I've had a hard time with protein shakes, and my nasty chewable vitamins because of it. Thank goodness I can eat some real foods now.

The late at night hungry/full/heavy feeling for me was acid reflux. Every time I've changed my diet ie from clears to fulls, now to mushies, my stomach seems to rebel. I have to take Zantac pretty regular and I've bought some Pepcid to try if things don't settle down soon. Are you taking an antacid of some kind?

I hope your not to stressed about your situation. It all seems pretty typical and you just have to ride it out. Keep the faith.

Eytria
on 10/23/15 10:49 am
VSG on 09/22/15

I'm usually pretty good about getting my protein in and I can see how you might be right with the reflux thing.( yes I am on a regular daily prescription for omeprazole I actually made 800 cals yesterday but now I feel like I have the flu. Granted I did more moving and activity yesterday then I have since the surgery. I was so exhausted last night that I didn't even get to log my exercise before having to go lay down. Not weighing myself it almost impossible lol but I do "try" to log once a week. Thanks for the reply, I'm so happy I found this place. It's good to talk to others that have had WLS as well.

sleevedinseptember
on 10/24/15 9:06 am

I'm also just 4 weeks out and I asked my nurse practitioner if I could start exercising. I get about 6-700 calories a day and between 60 -70 grams of protein. She said they usually recommend that people wait to start more intense exercise (beyond walking****il they can get between 850 -1000 calories per day. The reason is because we are getting so little right now, calorie wise, that it's just enough to fuel your body and not to help burn off any extra fat.

So what ends up happening if you're adding in quite a bit of exercise is your metabolism just shuts down and doesn't burn fat, your body tries to conserve whatever it has in order to keep you alive and all functions going. As someone else mentioned, it might be good for you to add in an extra protein shake and figure out another protein based way to get your calories up - certainly more than 400 per day. Maintaining our current muscle mass requires a lot of protein and you will need even more to build muscle which can be hard at this early stage. In terms of the digestion issue - are you taking a PPI or antacid daily and not eating too close to bed time? If not maybe try that. Good luck and don't be afraid to eat - our bodies really need the nutrition right now. We are still healing and we are also asking the body to lose weight. Just make sure you are getting in as much protein as possible, along with your vitamins and water.

Eytria
on 10/24/15 12:57 pm
VSG on 09/22/15

At this point I listened to the advice and have managed to up my calories to between 700- 800. Thank you all for the input =) like I told my husband this is going to be a learning as we go thing lol

KennethHawkins
on 11/21/15 1:23 am

Hi, 

I know that feeling but I give up easily and end up eating a lot. :(

I am thinking of going under a weightloss surgery but thought of collecting some relevant information before deciding. I am really confused can you anyone explain me the importance of a particular diet plan before any weight loss surgery.

Most Active