Yuck, can't stomach the protein drinks, what can I do?

alyssa9933
on 10/29/15 5:58 pm - LA

I am a newbie here, just registered and have so much to say and ask. I weigh 415 and am 5'6".

I'll start with a question about Protein drinks. I am scheduled for surgery on November 10, not long away and am shaking like a leaf with fear because of some underlying health issues and have told the surgery will be extra risky for me so I'm trying to concentrate on after the surgery. I want to do everything I can to stay healthy and not have too much hair loss but having tried almost every protein drink I could find I still haven't found one I can get down because of the taste. I am not a milk drinker to begin with. Is there a vitamin or pill type supplement for protein that we can substitute or any other suggestions of how I can maintain proper protein levels without getting ill. I would really appreciate any feed back anyone could give me.

Alyssa

KittysarusRex
on 10/30/15 8:53 am

Have you tried a variety? Some taste better than others, genuinely.

Unfortunately, there is no pill you can take, but there are protein bars and such that can help you and other forms of protein that aren't dairy based. It really depends on you though. I see a lot of people doing Premier Protein.

hollykim
on 11/3/15 9:56 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 30, 2015 at 3:53 PM Pacific Time, KittysarusRex wrote:

Have you tried a variety? Some taste better than others, genuinely.

Unfortunately, there is no pill you can take, but there are protein bars and such that can help you and other forms of protein that aren't dairy based. It really depends on you though. I see a lot of people doing Premier Protein.

actually, there are proton pills available. With only about 2 gems of protein per capsule, one would have to take about 100 a day to get what we need. Not really doable.

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/15 10:01 am - CA

Alyssa, everyone is different when it comes to protein drink preferences. I myself like both Unjury and Premier. Unjury is made with skim milk and premier is mixed with water. Premier has premade protein shakes that you can get at Wal mart and I would suggest trying either of these. I have never been a fan of the fruit protein drinks, but that is me. Others have said that those are really good.

What protein drinks have you tried so far?

Once you are able to eat solids, you can focus protein needs in the form of meats. So, protein shakes won't be a long term necessity. I am 14 years post op and I still use them, but more for just a light breakfast or quick on the go meal.

Nik

stacy T.
on 10/30/15 6:21 pm - San Francisco, CA

I wasn't able to stomach the protein drinks either. I found that by using the hydrolyzed protein isolate in savory foods I did better. Also, I could mix a scoop of the powder (20g) into tepid water, just enough to dilute it, and then drink (gag ; -) that down so I could have whatever without the taste/smell of the powder

stacy T.
on 11/5/15 8:01 pm - San Francisco, CA

Hey, our newest trick is to mix the powder into sugar free jello and make jigglers. They go down so easy!

Talkingmountain
on 11/24/15 8:34 pm
RNY on 12/28/15
On November 6, 2015 at 4:01 AM Pacific Time, stacy T. wrote:

Hey, our newest trick is to mix the powder into sugar free jello and make jigglers. They go down so easy!

How exactly do you so that?

Ht 5'6" | HW 278 | SW 264, Size 28+/4-5X | GW 135ish, Size 10-12 | CW 132, Size 8-10
Surg Date 12/28/15 | NSV Goal: Go down slide w/kid! 

stacy T.
on 11/25/15 12:06 pm - San Francisco, CA

Hi,

I Reduced the water volume by about a half, so instead  of 4 cups total I used 2 cups.

I dissolved 80 grams of protein worth of unflavoured hydrolyzed whey protein isolate into 1 cup luke warm water, avoiding clumping. The luke water seems to aid in this. Hot and cold clump it up.

The jello mix was dissolved into one cup of boiling water and stirred until it was all incorporated. Pour the hot into the cold whey water, to avoid heating  the whey up. Stir to mix and refrigerate to set.

You wind up with jello that has 20 grams of protein per 1/2 cup serving.

Didn't taste bad and went down easy!

Talkingmountain
on 11/26/15 8:28 pm
RNY on 12/28/15

Thanks!

Ht 5'6" | HW 278 | SW 264, Size 28+/4-5X | GW 135ish, Size 10-12 | CW 132, Size 8-10
Surg Date 12/28/15 | NSV Goal: Go down slide w/kid! 

kbennett2013
on 11/27/15 12:23 pm

What exactly do they taste like? I hate all protien powders. What protien powder are you using?

VSG 7/27/2015

Most Active