Aspartame fears

tattitude
on 12/2/15 8:19 pm

Anyone besides me have concerns about aspartame in seemingly every sugar-free product?  I mean, how many years was saccharin widely used before the FDA began to discourage its use?

I use stevia sweetener in things that need sweetening such as tea.  It is made from a plant, not a concocted batch of lab chemicals.

I am having difficulty finding products without aspartame.  Any suggestions?  Am I out of line having this concern since the FDA has deemed it safe for consumption?

SDenae
on 12/3/15 12:05 am - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

I don't think you're out of line at all. I don't trust the FDA.

Age: 40 | Height: 5'3" | HW: 245 | Program Start: 231 | SW: 208.5 | CW: 148.2 | GW: 130
M1: 15 M2: 15 M3: 6.7 M4: 10 M5: 6.6 M6: 3.3

^ Total weight lost
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

GastricWonder
on 12/5/15 1:13 pm

I'm concerned about this as well.  I had my first class on Tuesday with the nutritionist and I asked her about it.  She said it was the lesser of two evils.  I asked about xylitol (not a calorie free option, but a safer one nonetheless).  She said that she didn't recommend it.  She did say that stevia would be a better option, but to me...stevia has an aspertame taste to it.

GastricWonder

Began my journey to Gastric Bypass Surgery: 12/1/15

SW: 271 | GW: 140

Cocotopaz
on 2/23/16 1:15 am
RNY on 02/16/16

I have found that a lot of the Stevia that is commonly sold has other sweeteners added to it. Some have sugar alcohols or maltodextrin which can give it that apertame taste. There is pure Stevia but you have to read the information about it to make sure it is pure. I never see it in regular grocery stores.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/9/15 10:58 am

too much of that gives me headache. To much splenda - I itch like crazy. 

I just avoid foods drinks with that. It can be done.  

the only one I so far has not issues with is saccharine. The actual studies that show it causes cancer are very old and they could not replicate that in humans.  to and that does not cause me to have cravings... I still use that sparingly. 

drinks - I drink herbal teas, naturally flavored water (fruit infused) , coffee, and water..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

tattitude
on 12/10/15 9:51 pm

I was shocked and amazed when I went to purchase more stevia as I was out.  The brand name Truvia and Zing stevia sweeteners.. the very first ingredient in it is SUGAR.  Looked at the front again and it says "stevia blend".  I did find the Great Value brand that did not have sugar or dextrose in it.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/11/15 3:58 am

Most of the time I use liquid stevia, organic, from Whole Foods - 365 brand. Even for cooking/baking..

You may also try Erythritol- type of SA that most people tolerate very well ..(not me) that SA -sugar alcohol, is suppose to have 0 calories. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active