What keeps you full/satisfied?

kitty764
on 2/8/16 3:22 am

Hi all, I'm almost 12 years po (RNY),  I'm trying to get rid of about 20-ish pounds and I know protein is supposed to keep you full longer, but with just a pouch, I don't know if that's true. I notice whenever I eat, once it's out of the pouch I'm hungry again, especially at night. So what keeps you satisfied and full?

I know water is a good filler, but I am the worst when it comes to drinking water.

Winter_Rose
on 2/8/16 9:51 am

Cravings are the worst for me. If I am craving something in particular I find that upping my vitamins helps. Usually you crave what you need, so research that thing and find out what the nutrition value is, what the strongest vitamin nutrient is in that food, then take more of that vitamin for a few days. 
Example:
Chocolate is high in iron and magnesium but has little other vitamin value. So take extra magnesium and a little extra iron. (Be careful not to overdo iron). 
This may help with feeling satisfied. 

kitty764
on 2/8/16 7:22 pm

Thanks! Mostly it's just night cravings for food, sometimes it feels like I didn't eat for a week.  I do crave Swedish Fish too sometimes lol 

Lia D
on 2/12/16 6:37 am - Waldorf, MD

Hi Kitty!

I am also terrible about drinking water daily.  I know we need to have so I drink as much as I can in the mornings right after exercising, that's when I am really thirsty.  The remainder of the day I have resorted to non-caloric flavored water.  Everyone keeps telling me I'm supposed drink regular water and to get least 64 - 80 oz but the flavored water works for me.  I buy the Giant's flavored water.  The kiwi lime tastes like sprint to me.   Good luck in reaching and maintaining your goals.

Lia D

GB
on 2/16/16 9:36 pm
RNY on 01/27/16

Hi, I'm just short of 3 weeks post op, and I'm wondering the opposite, really: I can't get in all my protein, nutrients and water. I feel ridiculously full at the end of each day.

to answer your question about protein, though, not all protein is the same.  I can't eat casein protein because it gels in the stomach/pouch and breaks down too slowly. You might want to try it. A serving should keep you feeling full for 3-4hours.

JeanWilhite
on 2/21/16 9:21 pm

Divide your meal to small portions. Use small plate while serving yourself, then even if you eat number of times a day this wont affect your calorie count.

Britt U.
on 6/21/16 9:55 pm - Mill Creek, WA

Protein and fat keep me full for hours. I add veggies if I have room. Just protein doesn't do it and carbs, sugar, and processed food make me want to eat all day. I feel best doing 16/8 intermittent fasting (no breakfast, I'm not hungry and the research shows you don't need it) combine with low carb, moderate protein and fiber, high fat. I had some regain at five years and am losing it with this approach at almost the same rate as when I first had the sleeve. 

Most Active