Pre op diet trouble

Kelley425
on 5/26/16 6:13 pm

Hello everyone.. so its only my 2nd day on my pre op and im having trouble.. im so hungry and have a terrible headache ive already cheated just a LITTLE. any advice on how to overcome this?

SkottiRNY
on 5/27/16 7:13 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 07/07/15

Hi Kelley. My best advice would to train your brain. Yes, it is hard to get past that hungry feeling, but you should try to stick with it. Cheating just a little now, can lead to cheating post-op, and that is where you might fall back into the same predicament as before WLS. 

Drink more water, occupy your mind and hands. The headache will go away. Like any new change, your body is still adjusting. 

Be positive, and think of why you are having surgery... and the benefits it has. 

You can do it!!

Skotti. 

"Not every day is Fantastic, but at least I have the opportunity to live every day." ~ Skotti RNY

My YouTube Channel

HW: 419 lbs August 2014  - SW: 340 lbs - GW: 219 lbs 

RNY July 7, 2015

Tammie4x
on 6/2/16 11:23 am

My pre op was 5-6 protein shakes a day. Variety was the key for me and they are filling. Also sugar free jello....I made my own...more flavor options and cheaper. They taste really good too....I was surprised. Cherry orange and lemon were my favorite. Sugar free Popsicles have been my best friend throughout so far   (I'm 4 weeks post op). You are unlimited on your liquids (jello Popsicles broth...beef is the best IMO but don't get low sodium...yuck!)  I had projects lined up to keep me busy so I didn't think a lot about being hungry. You got this!  Its do with it!  Not only the results but for the surgery alone. Purpose to shrink the liver (and prepare for post op eating) so easier to maneuver around to get to the stomach. Lower chances for complications. My surgery was less than an hour (vsg). Hang there ?

Dlambrecht
on 8/25/16 10:46 pm
RNY on 10/04/16 with

Hello,

I am going through the same thing. I am one month pre op and they want me on 1 shake in the morning. I am trying to replace 2 meals and have dinner.. I feel like I am hungry all day.. my weight keeps fluctuating and now I am up 2lbs. Would it be better to stick w just the 1 shake a day. 

Thank you,

Donna

crafty_gal
on 8/31/16 8:16 am
RNY on 04/26/16

Pre op I had soup, soup and more soup. And greek yogurt. For dessert, I ate a lot of sugar free popsicles and when I had a chocolate craving I ate a sugar free jello mousse cup.

I started using tasting spoons pre-op and toddler sized bowls and plates to help re-train my brain as to what a serving should look like.

Do yourself a favor, make a pot of cabbage soup, maybe some ham and bean soup - nothing with pasta, cheese or potatoes in it. Even if your pre-op diet says protein shakes only, if you add a cup or two (yes, two!) of homemade soup a day, you will feel fuller and still lose weight.

If you need to "cheat" - be smart about it - have an extra protein heavy greek yogurt. Eat an extra 1/2 cup of cottage cheese. Not 4 or 5 times a day, but once a day and you will continue to lose weight and shrink your liver (which is the ultimate goal pre-op)

Do something that is incompatible with eating. For me, I crochet and crocheted about 100 hats for a mission pre-op while quitting smoking and during my pre-op diet. Go to bed an hour earlier. When you feel like you HAVE to eat, grab two popsicles and eat them. SF popsicles are your best friends!

HW: 333 Consult Weight: 318 SW: 293

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Kelley425
on 8/31/16 10:03 am

Thank you for all the advice hun. Im not 3 months post op 

crafty_gal
on 8/31/16 11:06 am
RNY on 04/26/16

This was all pre-op diet advice. My post-op diet is different.

HW: 333 Consult Weight: 318 SW: 293

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Kelley425
on 8/31/16 12:02 pm

I meant im 3 months post op... way beyond pre op diet.

missc_26
on 10/15/16 3:05 am
VSG on 10/03/16

Re below msgs - well that got confusing. But I wanted to say thank you for posting that, I found it useful and I'm sure there are otheRS that would too

@tricie89

Most Active