Vegetarian, plant based or Vegan after wls...discuss here

slrm2m2
on 6/22/16 4:04 am - Canada

Any vegetarians, plant based or vegan post-ops out there....plus share your successes, struggles, tips and other experience with being a vegetarian or vegan.

How soon post-op did you start eating this way

What do you eat

Any gas, bloating, digestive issues from eating this way and solutions to them?

Why did you start eating this way

How is your bloodwork?

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

in_rhythm
on 6/25/16 6:55 am

I was vegetarian for a long time and changed to vegan last year and I'm still trying to figure out how to get my nutrition right. I drink protein shakes to up my protein as well as eating veggie "meat" products and beans. I've had been too heavy on the carbs but I'm working on cutting back. I'm coming back from a large post surgery weight gain that started when I was 7 years out and so far I've lost 40lbs of the regained weight.  Being vegan is important to me for many reasons and I'd like to continue to eat ths way.  I have my yearly post op visit with the surgeon in August so I'll see how my bloodwork looks. It's  a work in progress at this point but I'm sure it will all fall in place. 

Talkingmountain
on 7/3/16 9:00 am
RNY on 12/28/15

I'm "plant-centered" in that I will eat poultry & fish if I really want it, or if I'm out to eat and that's the healthiest option.  I still eat some treats that contain dairy, but am trying to invent dairy-free options so I can eliminate those too.

I'm 6 months out and so have had two bloodwork checkups.  I use the PatchMD multivitamin/mineral patches.  My nutritionist is happy with my food choices.  In terms of weight loss, they said I am WAY ahead of the others who had surgery at the same time (none of the others are plant-based eaters).  Best of all I feel great.

"How soon post-op did you start eating this way?"  I intended from the start to become mostly plant-based (based on the research and on previous life experience, it's the healthiest way to eat -- I just could never eliminate the cakes & cookies long enough to keep weight off!). Legumes agree with my new tummy way better than any flesh foods or eggs (this is true of most people who try them).  If you are new to eating legumes, though, start with just a little each day and be sure you are drinking plenty of water.  If you get gassy, use Beano at first until your body adjusts to the increase in beans.  

"What do you eat?"  Typical day is as follows:
Breakfast:
- Burrito shell, slathered w ff refried beans & toasted. Add several leaves of crunchy lettuce before folding over into a "bean quesadilla". Previously I also added some lowfat cheese to bump up the protein content a little.
- 1/2 to 1 orange.
Lunch:
- Salad w/lots of chickpeas or edamame, sunflower seeds, a little bit of cheese, & about 1 tbsp of whatever dressing I'm in the mood for.
- A little of some filling, healthy starch (e.g. a few pieces of baked potato or sm portion homemade mashed potatoes).
OR a small frozen dinner, usually Lemon Pepper Fish (I don't eat the apples - too sweet!) or Santa Fe Rice & Beans.
- A small portion of whatever fruit I'm in the mood for (lately, peaches!!!!).
Supper:
- Edamame in the pod + home-popped popcorn (no oil) w/spritz of low-salt soy sauce & at least 1/4 c nutritional yeast + piece of fruit; OR
- Whole milk plain yogurt (I'm trying to find a decent-tasting plain soy yogurt) w/banana & other fruit + sliced almonds; OR
- Tofu & some veggies + piece of fruit.
- If I'm really hungry, I'll sometimes have baked chicken, some instant mashed potatoes, & steamed broccol, + piece of fruit.
Snack:
- Popcorn & nutritional yeast (if I didn't have it for supper); OR Pear/cashew "pudding"; OR Carrots w/hummos; OR Arctic Zero ice cream

Any gas, bloating, digestive issues from eating this way and solutions to them?
- Anything w/dairy (esp if it contains whey) makes my stomach hurt and makes me constipated. I'm looking for substitutes, and in the meantime take a digestive enzyme from CVS with the first bit of such foods.
- I've been eating beans for a long time so they don't affect me at all.  What bothers people is either the sudden increase in fiber (which is why you increase them slowly, & increase water intake), or the particular sugar in legumes that isn't easily digested (which is why you can use Beano with the first bite until your body adjusts).  I also find that using Eden canned beans or cooking them myself in the crockpot overnight takes care of the gassiness. There's no need for all the complicated pre-soaking etc. Just put dry beans in the crockpot and cook on high overnight.  Don't add salt - it keeps them from getting soft.

"Why did you start eating this way?" Because I'm a scientist and the genuine science on eating a whole-food, plant-based diet is unequivocal: the more you move in the unprocessed, plant-based diet, the healthier you will be. 

"How is your bloodwork?"  I've had my 3- and 6-month followups.  Everything except ferritin is excellent (yes, my protein levels are excellent too).  My ferritin (iron stores) has decreased a little, though I'm not "anemic" at this point.  Which tells me that the PatchMD probably doesn't work, unfortunately.  Assuming that's the case, though, then my overall diet is giving me plenty of everything except iron.  I will be supplementing for the next 3 months while I look for ways to add iron-rich foods (like tahini) to my daily diet.

Ht 5'6" | HW 278 | SW 264, Size 28+/4-5X | GW 135ish, Size 10-12 | CW 132, Size 8-10
Surg Date 12/28/15 | NSV Goal: Go down slide w/kid! 

lcv915
on 4/5/19 7:09 am
VSG on 01/14/19

I'm struggling! I am 11 weeks post-sleeve. Lifelong lacto-ovo vegetarian (who dislikes cows milk and the taste/smell of eggs; as ingredients, though, I consume them). I've been on 40mg omeprazole (for reflux) since well before my VSG. Initially, I thought all my digestive issues were due to reflux (belching 24/7, bloating, nausea) and feared I'd need a revision to bypass. Now, I'm thinking that at least part of my issues are from all the whey protein I've been trying to consume, which leave me unable to reach my fluid and protein goals.

All that said, I'm starting my first whey-free day today and am not at all certain I'll be able to reach the 80g protein my doctor suggests while keeping my carbs low enough to stay in ketosis. When trying to create my day's food plan, I can't seem to come up with vegetarian combinations that balance it all.

How many grams of proteins, carbs and fats are you all eating daily? What helps you strike the right balance if whey protein isolates are not an option?

Most Active