Am I drinking too much (protein drink)

jd0p
on 8/11/16 5:06 pm
RNY on 08/01/16

First time poster here. I've been reading around the forum and I'm really excited to be a part of it!  So much wonderful information to read, it will keep me busy for hours!

Now on to my question. I'm on week two of post-op, puréed foods, protein shakes, etc. I'm able to drink a protein shake that I'm making myself in about ten minutes no issues. It contains a scoop of powder (130 cals, 20g protein), a cup of milk, and a cup of ice.  I throw it in the nutribullet, sit down with my shake/frosty and enjoy!  Is this too much too fast?  I usually don't have any signs of fullness with it until maybe 10-15mins after. I just want to make sure I'm not taking on too much too fast. 

I also do not get any fullness when eating my 1.5oz of protein and 1oz of fruit/veggie in about 5-10mins.  I'm concerned that I'm not getting the typical "signs" of having a smaller stomach.

Lemily
on 8/12/16 6:08 am
VSG on 01/16/14

Hi,

I had VSG not RNY, so I can only speak from my experience. Yes, way to fast on both accords. In my surgery, nerve endings were cut, everything is still swollen and sore. It takes longer at this point to feel the fullness. Take your time. I used a baby spoon to eat the pureed stuff. It should take at least 1/2 hour to eat 2-3 ounces of pureed. I would take a bite every minute and put the spoon down in between. This also helps you retrain yourself how to eat and take your time. At two weeks out, the only protein I was eating was from yogurt or powder. I was not allowed to have chicken et al. until at least 4 weeks. Even at that point the most I could eat was 2 ounces every few hours.

If you aren't feeling the fullness until 10-15 minutes after, you are drinking way too fast. Keep in mind you never want to feel "full", you want to feel "satisfied". Slow and stead gets you to satisfied better than gulping down and then feeling full later.

When in doubt, always circle back to your post-op documents and your nutritionists guidelines.

Hope this helps and good luck on your journey!

jd0p
on 8/12/16 7:31 am
RNY on 08/01/16

Thanks for the help.  Shortly after posting that I definitely had some dumping.  At least now I know what that's like and what to watch out for (not fun!!).  I guess breaking old habits is hard but I'm trying!

Most Active