Advice is needed

Cosmos2112
on 9/30/16 4:52 pm

i just had my first meeting with my surgeon. I have diabetes, sleep apnea, and a few other things. My BMI is just over 35. I am 5'7" tall and female. I think my weight is about 228#. I will see the RD and psychologist soon. I won't be able to lose more than 2 pounds as I can't lower my BMI. I also can't gain any weight. This will be a huge challenge for me. The RD will help me figure out what I can eat to maintain the required BMI. I will do what ever necessary to have my surgery as the thought of dying from complications from diabetes far outweigh anything else. Has anyone here been in this situation?  Honestly I thought I weighed more, I just carry the weight differently. Anyone know how many calories I will need to consume to maintain my BMI? I also will need to cut back at working in the gym, especially cardio. 

I am am determined to have this surgery. Any advice is very much welcomed. 

NYMom222
on 9/30/16 6:57 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I can understand wanting surgery when you have diabetes and sleep apnea. My best advice is to weigh yourself daily, nobody's weight is exactly stable.... but it will help you keep an eye on it. have your appointments to be weighed a the end of the day. :)

There is a Lightweights Board/forum on here for people with under a 40 BMI...you might want to post there...

You didn't say what type of surgery you were considering, RNY/gastric bypass often resolves diabetes before people even leave the hospital, whereas sleeve depends on you losing the weight.

Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Cosmos2112
on 9/30/16 7:05 pm

I'm having the RNY surgery. Thanks for the advice about the appointments and the scale. I'll checkout the Lightweights forum. The insulin makes me so hungry. I've got a long three months to go. 

Cosmos2112
on 9/30/16 7:11 pm

To the Mods: can you move my poet to the Lightweights forum, please?  

Kathy S.
on 9/30/16 7:19 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hello,

We are unable to move a post.  If you want this thread deleted we can do that for you and then you can repost.  Be sure and copy and paste before we delete. Send the request to remove the post via report post under the "more" option.

Thank you,

Kathy

ObesityHelp.com Community Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Renren
on 10/22/16 1:16 pm
VSG on 12/02/15

I had been hearing so much about a two week pre op liquid diet, so I was afraid I'd go under the required BMI. But it was not required for me. Find out so that your RD knows everything she's dealing with. I actually gained a couple of pounds right before surgery, but no one weighed me on surgery day. Blessings

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Most Active