Sugar

Gliblib
on 12/19/16 6:13 pm

I am out of DS for about 17 years. I am having a lot of pain in my gut. I have had stomach issues since day one, but I have managed. I figured it was the price I had to pay for not eating according to the "rules".  I have gone to many Docs and gotten absolutely opposite suggestions over the years. Too much fat, not enough fat, take 6 fiber pills a day, stop fiber it makes cramps/pain/bloating worse. I do have loose stools about three times a day. Most days I need to use an enema though.

Las few days I have been thinking maybe it's sugar overgrowth. I use four tablespoons of white death in every cup of coffee I have which is about four cups. I am currently on an antibiotic routine of two weeks on two weeks off which used to help. It really isn't anymore. I'm to the point I'm willing to follow the rules. It only took about 17 years, lol. I went from 330 to 135 my first year. The last four years I've pretty much stayed at 159, which I'm fine with. I do yoga, walk and meditate about five days a week   I guess I'm hoping there is another suggestion to ease pain without giving up my sugar. 

Is there?  Fingers crossed. 

Kathy S.
on 12/20/16 8:21 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Gliblib  

Welcome to OH!  We are so sorry to hear all you are going through.  You need to reach out to other DS'ers and see if they have any suggestions or perhaps they too went through what you are going through.  The Diet and Nutrition Forum is not the best place to post for your questions.  I am going to post for the DS'ers to reach out to you.  

Post on the main forum and the DS forum to connect with others that has your surgery.  Here are the links:

Main Forum

DS Forum

Please keep us posted on how you are doing 

Regards,

Kathy

ObesityHelp

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Valerie G.
on 12/20/16 9:29 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I would recommend at least cutting back on the sugar.  It does make for some serious craving where you might not otherwise have any.   I'm a mixer of sugar and artificial sweeteners to take the edge off of the aftertaste of them, but still cut back on sugar content.  

Another suggestion would be pro-biotics.  You can take large doses in pill form, but also get them in foods that are fermented like pickles and sauerkraut, or yogurts, etc.  I've come to love a beverage that has live culture apple cider vinegar in it, and I'm amazed at how it affects me within a day or two.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Gliblib
on 12/20/16 12:32 pm

Mixing sweetner with the sugar is a great idea. I have read so many articles that say pro-biotics don't stay in our system to actually do anything. That's what I mean, Docs say one thing and then the opposite. But, I take your personal experience more seriously. My husband text me and asked if I wanted anything from the store. I gave in and said Equal, lol. I do eat yogurt nearly everyday, but I will make more a point of it. I didn't think it would help because of the dairy aspect. I will look for one of those fermented drinks, I guess homemade hooch doesn't count :) 

Valerie G.
on 12/21/16 9:16 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

For food delivered pro-biotics, I can tell right away from the odor and consistency in my stool.  My energy level also increases.  The beverage I'm talking about is by Bragg (they also do organic apple-cider vinegar with live mother).  You can get them at Whole Foods, I know.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

-Flo-
on 12/20/16 5:24 pm
DS on 04/11/16

I can't eat sugar. It gives me terrible diarrhea. At first I was mad and would have sugary stuff anyway, but I quickly learned that it would just make me miserable.  Now diet coke actually tastes good. 

Probiotics make a huge difference! My GI system is so much happier with a probiotic. Seriously invest in some. 

Gliblib
on 12/20/16 5:27 pm

I did hear of a frozen probiotic that received good reviews. Do you take a special formula?

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/20/16 8:57 pm
You know everyone is different. There are a lot of people that have WLS that white sugar will make them hurt.

Here is what I'd recommend. Do an elimination diet. Start with nothing but pure protein for a few days. See if the "issues" go away.

As for fiber/no fiber/enema's etc.

I would HIGHLY recommend finding a way to get of long term antibiotics. I know it was a "thing" 10 years ago-but it's not wise. I eat a lot of fiber foods- so I take Magnesium oxide everyday at night. Sometimes I add in a stool softener. I tried Miralax...and I found the magensium worked better for me. I take 400 MG at bed time.

Scott
dustycroy
on 12/21/16 2:21 pm
DS on 05/14/13

Just wondering if it can be the carbonyl-iron your taking if your taking it..... This stuff makes me burn like fire in my private area to where I have to sit on frozen vegtables contiuously all day long.... It took me over a year to figure out what was doing it to me.... the docs didnt know either.... I was taking five a day now I take one or two.... if im not use to taking it, it will hurt my stomach for a few days..... Im just wondering if this could be a possibility..? here is an article I found.... http://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/carbonyl-iron

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

misyoungthang
on 12/21/16 11:17 am
DS on 06/13/16

I am only 6 months out but I noticed the more sugar I have the worse I get bloated or have horrible gas. I chocolate candy or some I can have 4 small chocolates and I'm in horrible pain and have to go to the bathroom for hours!!!! I try to stay away. I have 2 splendas in a large cup of tea and have 2 a day at work or low sugar hot chocolate. I usually add protien powder to it cause less stomach pain. I have a problem with going #2 myself. My DR said its ok to go once or twice a week, I go more if I eat food I'm not supposed to eat. If you continue to have pain go and see a Dr for a check up to make sure everything is ok. Good luck.

Oh, sometimes I skip a day or 2 without protein powder if I have been constipated for too many days and my stomach hurts.

Most Active