Paleo diet and too much food?

daisymay228
on 2/9/17 1:43 pm - LA

I had the sleeve procedure 7.5 years ago and have been lucky to keep most of the weight off.  In the last 2 years, I've gotten into Crossfit as my fitness choice.  Along with that comes the information of a paleo-eating lifestyle (which I love).  But, like most, I'm interested in losing more fat on my body and I've tried the paleo diets that help you keep within your macros to lose fat.  However, the portions are way too large.  I've been told that I'm not losing b/c I'm not eating the amount of food that the diet requires.  Does anyone else have this problem?  For instance, my lunch may consist of 3oz of beef but 2-3 cups of vegetables which is not even possible.  So I scale it back, but I'm still not losing weight.

Any ideas, tips?

Thanks!

Andrea
SW 228 - lowest weight - 132 - CW 160

Gastric Sleeve - July 2009
BL/BA/TT  - August 2010
TT#2/Full circumfrential lift - July 2014

DubfromBP
on 2/11/17 10:04 am
VSG on 10/13/15

I'm always impressed at how Crossfit and Paleo seem to go hand in hand.

Paleo, to me......just makes sense.  Natural eats.  The stuff we were designed to eat.  Dropping the unwanted toxins and additives.  Makes good, clean sense.

The portions and the specific macro-content still has to be analyzed so your protein/carb/fat goals are met.   Some folks just seem to content to be under the blanket of a named plan.  It has a name....thusly they equate it with getting specific results.  Results are commensurate with how well they measure and evaluate their intake within any plan.   

Case in point is something that happened the other day at work.  I have a coworker who is among the most fit individual I encounter on a day to day basis.  Guy routinely jogs to work.....puts in 12+ hours shifts.......jogs home.  He's a Crossfitter and dialed in on his health in general.  His wife is, too.  They should have their own fitness show on television or whatever.

We have ongoing conversations on fitness and nutrition and he's helped me a great deal.

He had some type of all-Paleo ingredient pan of fruity-nutty-"brownie" like things he brought in to work and shared.  Folks were eating them and one guy in particular was cramming them in.  Somebody joked with him, telling him to slow down and leave some for everyone else.....his reply, "Hey.....these are diet, right ?    They are Paleo so I'm good to go, right?".

I couldn't help but laugh.  That was me years back.  As long as my way of eating had a name, I felt the battle was half won.  

Now I know the truth is in the macros and measurements of whatever name it has.

Much respect to your exercise level and your healthy way of eating.  That is is awesome.

I find myself more and more in the Paleo way of grocery shopping and eating.  Quick daily runs through the perimeter of the grocery stores.....fresh stuff......natural stuff......tasty stuff.     I've just had to learn that a handful of blueberries is great......not the whole carton, lol.

Live, love and make the most out of what your surgeon has done for you...........live your life without excuses and without regrets.

Gwen M.
on 2/14/17 4:13 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I recommend that you start using something like MyFitnessPal to track everything you put into your mouth. It'll be easier to troubleshoot what's going on if you know what's going in :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Grim_Traveller
on 2/16/17 5:59 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I agree that using Myfitnesspal and weighing every morsel is your best starting point.

Eating more food will not make you lose weight. Eating more makes us gain weight. You've been eating extra calories already. Identify where those extra calories are hiding, and cut back.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active