Digestion issues on a low carb diet

Corwin1968
on 7/11/17 10:14 am

I am going in for my initial resting metabolic rate testing and nutritional consult tomorrow. I know from my research and my initial consultation visit that this program focuses on a low carb diet after surgery and I assume also in the pre-surgery stage.

I've done low carb many times, including most of June and every time, I experience digestive issues with loose stools. This doesn't resolve until I go back to eating grains.

Has anyone had a similar experience and if so, how did you deal with it, especially after surgery (bypass, in my situation)?

I'm concerned that my new diet after surgery will leave me life-long digestive issues.

Angela R.
on 7/12/17 5:27 pm - Jewett City, CT

Hello, I have already had my surgery and already 6 years out. I had put on some weight and not lost all my weight. I decided a little over a week ago to start doing a low carb way of eating. I have not had any issues so far. I actually like it.

Angela 
Revision Surgery from Lapband to Gastric Bypass... 1/3/11
Start 290 / Now 208/oal 180 (Doctor set goal)

BETH6536
on 7/13/17 4:21 am - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 04/19/17

I have been pretty low carb since surgery almost 3 months ago and no GI issues out of the normal.

RNY surgery date 4-19-17

HW: 280 Surgery Weight: 262 CW: 165

(M1) 23 (M2) 8 (M3) 11 (M4) 9 (M5) 7 (M6) 9

Corwin1968
on 7/17/17 12:24 pm

I spoke with my nutritionist and she recommended a specific supplement that is not a probiotic but it acts as a probiotic. I should get that this week and I'll give that a shot. I'm also considering the VGS instead of the RNY because dumping syndrome scares the crap out of me.

Most Active