Is there ANYONE here who is NOT getting surgery?

Finsternis
on 3/12/18 12:08 pm - NH

Most of the research to this point has been on animals - there's lots of that. But in the end, the same research that prove WLS works well applies to intermittent fasting - they both involved a huge calorie reduction. WLS isn't technically fasting, but it might as well be due to the teensy amount of food you can eat afterwards. WLS is just surgically enforced fasting. There is no mechanical difference between the two mechanisms.

I ask you: do you believe there is any kind of physical or medical benefit to the surgery itself? What I mean is, it simply forces you to eat a lot less. Do you think that you would get the same results if you just followed the post-surgical diet from WLS without getting the surgery? Or do you think there's something magical going on?

Finsternis
on 3/12/18 12:53 pm - NH

Also, there is this:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170216103923.h tm

Min Wei, Sebastian Brandhorst, Mahshid Shelehchi, Hamed Mirzaei, Chia Wei Cheng, Julia Budniak, Susan Groshen, Wendy J. Mack, Esra Guen, Stefano Di Biase, Pinchas Cohen, Todd E. Morgan, Tanya Dorff, Kurt Hong, Andreas Michalsen, Alessandro Laviano, Valter D. Longo. Fasting-mimicking diet and markers/risk factors for aging, diabetes, cancer, and cardiovascular disease. Science Translational Medicine, 2017; 9 (377): eaai8700 DOI: 10.1126/scitranslmed.aai8700

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/12/18 1:08 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Bariatric surgery causes lasting metabolic changes that aren't seen with IF.

Welcome back to your argument, BTW, we've missed you!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Finsternis
on 3/12/18 2:20 pm - NH
On March 12, 2018 at 8:08 PM Pacific Time, Sparklekitty (Julie), Science-Loving Hag wrote:

Bariatric surgery causes lasting metabolic changes that aren't seen with IF.

Welcome back to your argument, BTW, we've missed you!

Really? And what do you imagine they are? Proof, please.

on 3/12/18 2:31 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Finsternis
on 3/12/18 2:47 pm - NH

You said: "Bariatric surgery causes lasting metabolic changes that aren't seen with IF."

The links you posted prove no such thing. I didn't say WLS did not have metabolic effects. The changes mentioned are all also seen with IF. You're the one who needs to educate yourself about something you clearly are completely uninformed about.

on 3/12/18 2:57 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On March 12, 2018 at 9:47 PM Pacific Time, Finsternis wrote:

You said: "Bariatric surgery causes lasting metabolic changes that aren't seen with IF."

The links you posted prove no such thing. I didn't say WLS did not have metabolic effects. The changes mentioned are all also seen with IF. You're the one who needs to educate yourself about something you clearly are completely uninformed about.

Good luck with your diet. I hope you can achieve long-term success. I'm finished.

(deactivated member)
on 1/24/18 10:35 am

Lol!! This is such a non-debate because any MO person with a brain will BEG BORROW STEAL to get WLS of whatever stripe after half a life wasted struggling with serious unsolvable with traditional remedies ( diet and exercise and " self discipline" ) weight and health issues.

Youre either a troll or totally misguided and honestly I really don't care which . When you get tired of your " 600 lb life " come back.. or not

Finsternis
on 3/12/18 12:57 pm - NH

I don't know what "MO" is, but you are completely wrong. Not just me but plenty of other people consider surgery but decide against it. In fact, I would fight that hard to PREVENT anyone from doing it to me.

Yes, many or most of us here have struggled our whole lives with the "traditional remedies" and had the same bad results. I agree that the traditional "diet and exercise" methods suck and don't work.

It's amusing to me that here, on this forum for obese people (and I assume that includes you), you would use weight as an insult. VERY lame. And for the record, I don't weigh anywhere near that, of course.

I've lost 20% of my weight in six months., No surgery. Can you say the same?

on 3/12/18 1:09 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

>> I've lost 20% of my weight in six months., No surgery.

Come back in five years and tell us all about how you've kept it off without surgery!

Most Active