Daily Food Consumption during Maintenance

Megan M.
on 10/9/18 1:43 pm - Canada

I'm just researching WLS and have read some scary stories.

My big question is, what are daily meals like when you are at your goal weight? One story I read said a successful patient ate 4-5 meals a day that consisted of 1 cup of food (any food really, from salad to rice to an fruit smoothie). I understand that adequate nutrition is ideal and she was getting all her nutrients in. I'm also kind of hoping that one cup of food will fill me up for hours and with a decreased stomach and appetite (which seems to occur in all WLS procedures). I have BED so having an easy measure like 1 cup of food 4-5 times a day will help me mentally prepare for this lifetime commitment.

Thank you in advance!

Liz J.
on 10/9/18 2:42 pm
DS on 11/29/16

Depends a lot on your surgery. Most people with a DS have to eat 6 times a day to maintain others have to eat less than 1000 calories a day.

What surgery are you looking at having done? And we have forms for most surgeries and it would be a better question to ask there.

Liz

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

Megan M.
on 10/9/18 2:59 pm - Canada

Thank you Liz, that really helps. I'm looking at all the surgeries right now and am already nervous about being able to maintain any diet plan post-op as I've failed at so many.

I'll read more on this site before I post more questions as you are right - there is so much info here :)

Oct 2018 - Family Dr Referral, Detox Diet

Nov 2018 - Pre-Op Appt (scheduled), Gastric Balloon Insert (TBD)

HW: 272.6 > CW: 229.0 > GW: 120-135

Found this weight loss %age calculator that helps see weight loss in a different perspective, thought I'd share: https://www.fitwatch.com/calculator/weight-loss-percentage/

So I'm tracking my current %age of my goal lost. 100% = 142 lbs to lose. Currently I have lost 43 lbs so that is 43/142 = 30% of my goal - YAY ME!

sweetpotato1959
on 10/22/18 11:37 am

Megan,

I am decades out from an early wls surgery. i do not have a BED... my consumption for most meals is 6-7 ounces. I eat as many times as needed to get my nutrition in. my scripted diet is 90 grams protein minimum, and less than50 grams of carbs a DAY. when i stay on that i have good energy and do fairly well.

You need to be looking at how well you can follow restrictions yes, but you also need to look at behavior modifications for your specific disorder.

The surgery will limit your ability to put food in you need to start substitutions for eating now. some ideas are... Find a craft or other activity to kep your hands busy, go for a walk, even if a short one.

drink liquids/ calorie free filtered water is best as is cold water. be aware that many people are triggered to eat by artificial sweetners. I am one. so i only do natural sugars in very small amounts( a half teasooon... or stevia pyure.. or now better stevia liquid, both are processed cleanly.. the problem with our bodies is each accepts gastric surgeres differently... the same surgeon can do the same surgery on 2 ppl related and ( ie mother and daughter0 each body may respond with different issues.) just a fyi.. keep reading and studying and doing what you can where you are... it is an exciting journey to the new you.

Megan M.
on 10/22/18 6:13 pm - Canada

Thank you sweetpotato1959! I will head all your words of wisdom.

I met/spoke with my Nutritionist today and she said the exact thing you said about the sugars!

All of this is going to be a challenge for me and have started a "project list" of things I want to get done in life so my plan is to work that list instead of eating.

Tomorrow I start the detox diet my Nutritionist has tailored for me and the portion sizes are so teeny tiny but of course they are packed with all my nutrients.

In order to qualify at my pre-op in a few weeks time I need to lose some weight, hence the detox diet.

I'm looking forward to becoming a successful eater like yourself! Thank you again for replying.

Found this weight loss %age calculator that helps see weight loss in a different perspective, thought I'd share: https://www.fitwatch.com/calculator/weight-loss-percentage/

So I'm tracking my current %age of my goal lost. 100% = 142 lbs to lose. Currently I have lost 43 lbs so that is 43/142 = 30% of my goal - YAY ME!

NYMom222
on 11/14/18 7:57 pm, edited 11/14/18 11:57 am
RNY on 07/23/14

We all failed on many diet plans or we wouldn't be here. What people are able to maintain on can vary greatly. Some people yes have to stick close to the 1000 calorie mark and others like me maintain on 2000ish calories a day- very normal intake. I still need to eat 5-6mtimes a day and most meals can't take in more than 3oz dense protein, amybe 4oz. I can eat much more fruits and vegetables now that I am 4+ years out. In the beginning it was maybe 2 bites of veggies at a time.

I think losing weight - especially the first year you have to put your blinders on and dig in and lose the weight. Most people stick to under 1000 calories, high protein, low carb.

Go on the general forum/Gastric Bypass/VSG boards and read, read ,read..that is where most the action is.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Gwen M.
on 10/13/18 6:25 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm still slowly losing weight, but a normal day of eating for me is 4-6 ounces of food twice a day, and one protein shake for breakfast. The shake is because I dislike solid food in the morning, not because I need a protein shake.

As someone who also has Binge Eating Disorder, I HIGHLY recommend that you address that prior to WLS - preferably with therapy and medication. No WLS is going to resolve the BED :(

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Megan M.
on 10/13/18 10:17 am - Canada

Thank you Gwen for taking the time to reply :)

That is great advice. I'd love to have my BED under control before the surgery as I'm afraid I will slip and end up bursting my stomach (i.e. a hernia or worse).

Thank you again, Meg

Laura in Texas
on 10/13/18 9:46 am

I am 10 years out from RNY. I am maintaining right now at about 150 pounds (24 BMI) consuming 2000 calories a day. 1200-1600 calories at maintenance seems to be about average.

I'd say I eat a fairly "normal" diet and I eat about the same amounts as my friends who weigh about the same as me (much less than I did preop, of course).

I CAN eat a lot more and do sometimes, but rarely. People who make excuses and do not use their tool as it should be used can and do gain their weight back. This is not magic.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Megan M.
on 10/13/18 10:14 am - Canada

Thank you so much for your reply! This is exactly the detail I was looking for so I'm very grateful.

Congrats on your success and 10 years - you are a true inspiration!

Most Active