Sources of protein

Wanette_Langford
on 9/2/04 1:41 am - greenback, TN
Does anyone know if there is a protein pill out there?? I am having a terrible time getting enough protein and I cannot stand the protein shakes. I have tried several and they all make me nauseous COuld anyone help me out??
Craig E.
on 9/2/04 11:03 pm
Hi Wannette! I am pre surgery so the protein game hasn't even begun for me, but in researching protein I heard that GNC makes an inexpensive liquid protein. Plus GNC lets you return any item that you try and don't like for a full refund. I hope this helps you out, I know how important it is to get in the protein. Craig
Marie C.
on 9/9/04 5:47 am - Dallas, TX
Good luck on your recovery. Protein intake is a problem. You may want to try whey added to your food in a powder form or protein drinks. Be careful with the GNC products, as many cary aspertame and all sorts of unhealthy additives. Find a good local health food store. They will be more than happy to help you. There is no "protein pill". Sorry. I tried. Be careful of calcium. You may be prone to calcium deposits...and they are painful. Good luck on your recovery. I had surgery 12/09/03 and I only needed to loose 100 pounds. I have lost 105 and am still loosing. Everyone is concerned. Protein...lots of protein. I am sugarless....that is why I am still loosing. I am trying to incorporate processed sugar back into my diet...but still get the dumping syndrome (bummer). I probably will never be able to eat sugar again. UGH. Again, good luck. The surgery is well worth it. Take care. T.
Jami M.
on 9/15/04 8:51 am - Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
Costco sells a protein drink that is very tollerable. It's called Pro-Rated. It comes in Alpine Vanilla and Bavarian Chocolate. It is reasonably priced as well. I make shakes using milk or juice, yogart, peanut butter, ice, shake mix, and fresh fruit. It actually is really good. I also had problems getting in protein and my levels are low, but this shake is the best I have found and I've tried many many brands. Two shakes plus eating as much protein as possible should help. I got sick a lot the first year with protein shakes and this brand is the only one that did not make me sick. Good luck!
Jan S.
on 10/17/04 8:15 am - Houston, TX
Hi Jami, I had RNY on 08/31/04. Tues will be post-op 7 wks. I wanted to know if you had seen a nutritionist post-op. I cannot tolerate the shakes, although I am thinking strongly about going to Costco to check the Pro-Rated line out. I seem to do fair with CarbSolutions protein bar (23 grs). I still can only eat about 1/4 c to 1/3 c of things like, mashed potatoes with cheese, refried beans w/cheese, scrambled egg w/you guessed it, cheese. I can tolerate grilled salmon, about an ounce at a time. I have been ultra careful since surgery...I have thrown up 2 x: once after eating about 5 baby spoons of oatmeal w/splenda (wrong thing to use) and the 2nd x I forgot to dilute some Light Cranberry juice. I took off entire month of Sept from work (medical social worker). Have been back for 2 wks & doing all right. Thinking I need to eat at least 3 protein bars a day, which isn't really inviting, &/or have a nutritional consult. How are you doing with your post-op life? I don't have a scale, b/c I don't want to weigh every day. Been there, done that. So I weigh at my dr's or go somewhere that has a dr's scale and weigh, every 2 wks or so. At my 6 wk anny I had released 31.5 lbs. I am walking about 25 min several x wkly. Have a good wk, Jan
Maria C.
on 9/18/04 6:19 am - East Meadow, NY
If you should find one please let me know. i am 3 months post op and have major problems getting in protien.
sue_f
on 9/19/04 5:05 am - Portland, OR
I am pre-op and am also starting to look for good sources of protein. Last night I was at the grocery store and saw a product for joint repair by ~Knox~ in the jello area. One powder has a tropical fruit flavor, no sugar, just add water. The other has no flavor, and you add it to your favorite drink. Both powders have 20 GRAMS OF PROTEIN per serving! But I was wondering if anyone here has tried it or knows anything about it. I am wondering for example, if it is gritty, or thick, or whatever. This product might be worth looking into. Sue
Sara T.
on 10/18/04 2:04 pm - West Palm Beach, FL
Hello Sue! I believe that gelatin is actually not a complete protein so it doesn't make it an ideal source. I think it best to avoid any protein source that comes from gelatin.
Sara T.
on 10/18/04 1:59 pm - West Palm Beach, FL
Hello Wanette! I had an awful time finding protein that i liked but had some luck with Whey Fruity by Molecular Nutrition. I get 26 grams of protein per serving. They tell you to mix it with 8 oz but I add about 10 because it's a bit too sweet for me and it works fine! I didn't notice how far you're out but if you can, I put my protein in with my yogurt as well but I avoid the strawberry and raspberry ones.
Most Active