12 days post-op...can I eat this?

Tracy P.
on 11/13/04 10:47 am - GA
O.k. I am 12 days post op and I had been feeling very great but I had NO energy. According to my doctor I am supposed to be on pureed foods for the next four weeks. I figured that I felt so bad because I was not getting enough protein. So, I started experimenting yesterday by eating something normal. Like I had some chili, but I only ate the beans and a few little tiny pieces of the meat. I also chewed until it was paste before I swallowed. I ate a total of about two ounces at the most. The rest of the time I am on broth, Crystal Light, etc. The thing is I have not had any appetite for the last several days so hunger is not a big thing. I also have not experienced any dumping symptoms, and even when I eat I do not get a feeling of fullness like some people describe. I mainly just measure what I am eating and do not eat more than that. I just want to know other post-op experiences. I am terrified that I am not technically eating "pureed" foods at this one meal a day, but I have felt like a brand new person with the added protein. I also tried the protein drinks that others have mentioned, but could not get enough down to make enough of a difference. I do not want to endanger my new stomach and so far I am down 20 pounds so what I am doing seems to be working. ANY FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! Tracy
Andrea A.
on 11/26/04 1:31 am - Katy, TX
I'm 8 days post op and am also supposed to be on the pureed diet. I've been eating cottage cheese without pureeing it first and am feeling fine. I, also, have not experienced that full feeling that everyone talks about. I think as long as you chew something enough to really grind it down with your teeth, the process is essentially as efficient as a blender. Question: Were you hungry during your first week? I've experienced a lot of hunger pains this week. Andrea
CuteDonna
on 12/28/04 1:17 am - Effort, PA
About 4 days after surgery my surgeon started me off on cottage cheese, yogurt and other soft foods as he don't believe in starving the body and I did fine on those foods. My surgeon said try Wendy's chili as they cook it to a point where it's real soft. Donna
Most Active