POST-OP VITAMIN CONCERNS

Gail P.
on 2/18/05 1:49 am - Somersworth, NH
Surgical date was 12.10.04. I have a concern about post-op vitamins and calcium. I have not been tested yet for deficiencies and wonder what other people are using for vitamins. I was told to take one chewable flintstones vitamin daily and two Tums daily. At about 4 months post-op my physician will test for deficiencies. I would appreciate any feedback and suggestions on how to remain healthy.... By the way - I've lost 57 lbs so far - about 1/2 way there.
Kimberly35
on 3/2/05 10:17 am - Marietta, GA
A non-WLS related doctor told me that Calcium needs an acidic environment in order to be absorbed properly so that makes Tums an ineffective calcium source. I tried chewable vitamins and found the ones I like the best are the Viactiv so I have both the multi-vitamin and the calcium.
MagickalMom
on 3/3/05 3:26 pm - Joint Base Lewis McChord, WA
True, calcium citrate is what we need, however that is hard to find in a chewable. Calcium carbonate is what is in tums and viactiv. Brightest Blessings for a Wonderful Day~ Jamie M. aka Lady Autumn Weight- 257/217/146 BMI- 44.1/37.2/25 Height- 5' 4" lbs lost: -40 Surgery Date: 1/19/05 My WLS Journey Site: home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-LadyAutumnsWLSjourney No matter what size, we are all Goddesses inside!
tfrodrig
on 9/7/05 4:06 am - Riverside, CA
I take Viactiv chewable calcium and multi-vitamin, I enjoy the taste, price is good and you can get them at Wal-Mart. I also take a chewable Vitamin C, and B-12 (1000 MCG) Sublingual that is about $6 for 100 count from trader Joes. Tina R.
Do-over Girl
on 9/11/05 9:06 am - Tempe, AZ
The chewable viactiv/or walmart brand while they taste great...your body won't get the calcium it needs from it...I had asked both my surgeon and the dietican. So those are no-nos for GBP. I found a great tasting chewable wafer at HiHealth Ultra Plan Ulimate Calcium Citrate 2000 citrus flavor sugar free +magniusm and vit d which helps in the absorption. I believe in taking the higher amt since that is the amount I was on pre op and since osteoporosis runs in my family.
Most Active