HELP-RESTLESS, PAINED, LEGS AT NIGHT!!

debul
on 7/13/05 8:29 am - demoines, ia
DOES ANYONE HAVE ADVICE OR COMMENTS IF THEY ALSO HAVE THIS. THE ONLY THING THAT TAKES IT AWAY IS QUININE-IT TAKES AN HOUR TO WORK AND I REALLY DON'T LIKE TAKING IT ON A REGULAR BASIS. IT IS DRIVING ME NUTS. IS IT A NUTRITIONAL DEFICIENCY THAT CAUSES IT? MY LEGS ACTUALLY HURT FROM THE KNEE DOWN-FIRST ONE, THEN THE OTHER. I HAVE TRIED STRETCHING-SOMETIMES THAT HELPS BUT THE NEXT TIME IT DOESN'T. I ALSO THOUGHT THAT IT WAS DUE TO A LOT OF WORK THAT I WAS DOING OUTSIDE, BUT THAT HASN'T BEEN PROVEN EITHER. PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES WITH ME-I WOULD BE SO GRATEFUL- BYE THE WAY I HAD RNY 4 YEARS AGO AND HAVE MAINTAINED A WEIGHT LOSS OF 127 LBS!! PLEASE WRITE IF YOU HAVE THOUGHTS ON THIS. THANKS!!
Sharon H.
on 7/14/05 6:49 am - Edmond, OK
Hi Deb.......I had been having alot of pain in my lower legs also and couldn't get comfortable for long. My primary dr. did an ultrasound on my legs and said that I had "leaky veins" (varicose veins). I knew I had alot of broken veins but the aching was new and driving me crazy. They told me the only thing that could be done was to wear compression support hose (terrible in the summer). They have helped with the swelling and some of the pain but it never completely goes away. Don't know if this is your problem or not but you might want to check with your primary care doctor. Sharon
(deactivated member)
on 7/14/05 9:07 am - Imperial, MO
Restless Leg Syndrome is where you feel like you just have to move your legs, usually occurs when you are extremely tired and/or trying to sleep. I did a lot of research on this. Warm bath, vitamin E and a massager, avoid caffeine. I would usually take vit E about an hour before I would go to bed. I have a massager plugged in, sitting next to my bed. If they wake me up in the middle of the night, I massage them for a few minutes and then I am able to get back to sleep. I never would drink anything with caffeine after 2 or 3pm. Hope this helps.
vickig
on 7/21/05 6:39 pm - CRAWFORD, GA
potassium helps with cramping. your doctor can prescribe carb/levo for restless leg syndrome. it dosen't sound like rls to me .mine doesn't hurt, i just jer alot. good luck.
KathieKathie
on 7/22/05 11:12 pm - Manassas, VA
I've been having a lot of cramping - real, honest to God cramps, as well as an ache in my shins at night. We've checked my nutrients (via blood tests), and everything looks fine. I have, however, added potassium and B-1 (thiamine?) to my daily pile of pills. I also eat bananas daily, and try to drink 1 glass of V8 juice daily. But the cramps are still happening. So, through elimination, I think we've narrowed it down to simple dehydration. I'm not getting enough water, plain and simple. When I'm careful to get as much as I can in, I'm fine. On days when I don't drink as much and am up on my legs and doing a lot of walking/standing around, or wearing high heels, I'll have cramps, you can bet money on it! So... check your potassium levels, your calcium intake, and, make sure you're getting in all your fluids! Cheers, Kathie PS - I'm 1 yr. and 7 months out, 165 down and maintaining...
tracey A.
on 7/23/05 8:16 am - ky
You sound like you have restless leg syndrome and my doctor put me on Elavil 50mg at night. I take it about 7pm and have had wonderful results. At first I thought he was crazy because elavil is an antidepressant but it is also used for restless legs. I have had no problems with it since.. except if I forgot to take it. Tracey
Bryytteyes
on 8/15/05 1:58 am - Visalia, CA
Hi, I'm Cindy P. I had my rny 5 years ago yesterday and have maintained my weight within about 5 pounds. Pretty much at goal. I have had problems over the years with cramping in my legs and have found that lack of calcium will cause this also. If I drank one of those calcium drinks (like citrical) it went away instantly. Also, the bananas are good, because of potassium. I also recently discovered that I was anemic and have been told that that can cause it. Dehydration can also. Thats pretty much the list of causes nutritionally that I know of. Good luck and have a great day! Glad to know you've done so well!
Most Active