Has anyone lost too much weight?

Wendy G.
on 9/5/05 1:20 am - Leander, TX
I am down to 94 lbs. and can't seem to get back over 98 no matter what I do. I am only 5.0' tall and by BMI is 18.4. I know most of you on here are loosing weight, however I have lost all that I want to loose. I look like I am a skeleton now, and am unhealthy. I eat all the time, but I can not seem to handle the weight gain drinks, they make me sick to my stomach. Any advice out there?
on 9/5/05 6:58 am
Wendy honey, please get in touch with your bariatric doctor asap..I'm sure there is something that they can do for you or put you in the right direction..It's amazing what our bodies do to us..Take care and please let me know how you are doing..Carolyn
tfrodrig
on 9/7/05 3:49 am - Riverside, CA
I agree....PLEASE! call your Dr. for an appt. ASAP!
Stephanie J.
on 9/26/05 4:21 pm - Tucson, AZ
Yes. Me too! I've been feeling so alone in terms of the support world. Most people don't even make it to goal and then wind up gaining ten to twenty percent of their weight back over the next few years. I reached goal, losing 140 pounds in a year, but then have kept on going another fifteen pounds or so that I didn't necessarily want to lose. I'm 5'9" and down to 130 pounds, ten pounds of which, of course, is left over skin. You can see all my bones. I know that I'm not in the critical range at this point. Oddly enough, although I'm very skinny, a little bit of anorexia actually conveys a longer life span. But I, like you, have to fight the big battle every day to just keep my weight stable. I think it's a combination of a pouch that doesn't tolerate as much food as some can and a dumping response that goes into play at the drop of more than a hundred calories at a time. I have to graze all the time. Most people can afford to miss a meal and make up the calories at the next one but if I miss a meal, I'm running a deficit. It's a real struggle. One thing that has helped me is to realize that I need to stop following the diet rules completely. I now try to get fats in any way I can. When I eat cottage cheese or milk, I buy the whole fat variety. I use regular salad dressings, and lots of olive and other oils, etc. And I even find bite sized candies and chocolate covered nuts in small portions to add extra calories to my diet and still get a little protein in. It took me a while even after I started getting a little too skinny to break out of that diet mentality and realize that profile no longer fit me. One funny thing I wonder if you share, Wendy. I can look at my bony body in the mirror and sometimes think I've gained a little in the tummy and then get on the scales and find out I've dropped five. There's a certain point in the anorexic state where the body image stops synching properly with the mirror. Scary knowing I'm too skinny but still occasionally see myself as having extra fat even when I'm losing. I've been between 130 and 135 for about 4 or 5 months now, but deal with the fear of further weight loss every day. Good luck with your struggle. I see you've been dealing with it for a few years now. I hope mine won't be the same story. I'm only about a year and a half out. - Stephanie J
Shepherd
on 10/5/05 7:09 am - Lomita, CA
HI Wendy, You say you are unhealthy? Have you been to your Dr? That would be the very first suggestion. I reached and surprassed by goal by 10 months out. I maintain at about 14-15 lbs undergoal, meaning I average about 154 lbs.... at 6' tall, that is very thin, size 6. My goal for myself was 170, when I kept right on going past that I really started to panic. I made sure I went to my Dr and that all was ok, physically (that was at about 160); at my one year I addressed it again with my Dr, I was 155. He said, I was perfect for my height & frame (i'm tall, but apparently not quite the large frame I alwasy thought I was). My labs are great and I am healthier than I have ever been in my life. Also, I was not exercising regularaly, then at 9 months out I started taking dance lessons, I immediately lost another 5 lbs. I found I have to be sure and keep my calories up. Like Stephanie posted, I have had to learn to avoid most of the "rules". I must not miss a meal; and must eat in-between meals to keep up the calories. Especially on days when I have my dance classes or will be extra active, I have to be really concious to keep my calorie intake up. The trick is to try and do it in a healthy way. Getting used to being so much thinner is another part of this, you know, the mind catching up with the body. I don't feel I am anoexic. My quanity is limited at a setting, but I do eat regularly, on a scheduled basis without problems and I enjoy what I do eat. If all else, health wise, turns out to be ok for you, my guess is that over time your body weight will adjust, this is what I am expecting as well. Looking forward to that 5-10 bounce back I hear about. Wishing you the very best, Pam rny 5/13/04 268/154 below goal & maintaining
Iris Shimmer
on 10/30/05 11:19 pm
I am 2 years post op and maintaining a 130 pound loss, 15 pounds below goal. THis past February I dropped down to 112 which was skeletal on my 5'2" heighth and small frame. I was eating constantly just to maintain 112. Went to the surgeon and found my gall bladder was suck and had to come out. After I healed from that I was able to eat more dense foods and gained up to 117 pounds that I struggle to maintain today. I started drinking Muscle Milk once a day, a high protein drink that has little over 300 calories in it. The best advice is talk to your doctor about your concerns. If you feel poorly there is probably something missing from your diet or supplements. Renee 249/117
wildrose021
on 12/6/05 12:33 am - MN
I lost too much weight im 5'4" and got down to 110. my doctor told my to eat more high calorie foods and i also have to eat costantly all day if i skip a meal my weight goes down im finally up to 130 and stable but have to always be on top of what im eating or my weight easily goes down. i also suggest talking to your doctor you want to make sure you have no deficiencies. i had a vit A defiecency. christina
busyredhed
on 12/6/05 4:27 am - Merced, CA
I have lost too much weight as well. I am now 20 mo. out from surgery and was told by my surgeon yesterday that even though at 5'9 and 153 lbs. I am still above my ideal weight according to the chart that I am acutally underweight for my frame. My bones can be easily felt even through loose skin. I knew something has been wrong because I haven't been feeling healthy the last month or so which I think is due to the last 10 lbs. I lost. I stayed stable all summer and then all of a sudden within a month and a half I lost 10 lbs. He told me to eat more animal proteins and not so much on the protein shakes. He said that the animal protein rich food also has other things that our bodies need. He had me do another round of blood work and he will see me again in a month. Since I suffer from Panic Disorder this has made me extremely stressed out, but I am trying to stay calm and remember to eat enough proteins and carbs. He reminded me yesterday, protein first then vegetables. He also said that if I get enough protein in that I should be able to gain 20 lbs of muscle. I can't imagine it, but I will try. Good Luck. Dawna
Kimberly_2005
on 1/18/07 9:57 pm
I have the same problems you are having i feel like you are telling my story... i am scared to death that i am not going to get this under control... if i cant what happens what will they do ? any one know that answer? Kim
Most Active