Weight Gain

pluckyskunk
on 9/27/05 6:29 am - FRISCO, NC
Hey guys! need suggestions. I've lost 145 lbs in my first year...but now I reached a plateu (sp) which is fine except I seem to have gained about 10 to 15 lbs. HELP! any suggestions? I guess i need to watch the carbs ? I'm trying to follow a work out plan but i'm exhausted. kc
Karen K.
on 9/28/05 5:56 am - Paris, France
Hi Casey, Just so you know, before I start, I was a personal trainer and an aerobics instructor, and advised clients, so I do have a long history with these issues. I wouldn't know if you need to watch your "carbs", because I don't know what you eat and in what proportions. Why do you assume its carbs and not fat or protein? Here is the point--you are taking in too many calories for your activity level. You need to reduce the amount of calories, or up your exercise, or both. The best general advice (and I say general, because I am not a nutritionist, nor do I have a food log of what you have been eating) is try to keep your diet low in fat, low in REFINED carbs and high in fiber. Which means, eat adequate protein (minimum 50 grams max 90 grams), and lots of fresh veggies and fruit. You should also eat a good amount of complex carbs to FUEL your body and your brain. Assuming that you don't have anemia or another blood disorder that is making you feel exhausted, you are probably eating too much simple sugars and fats, and not enough whole grains, fruits and veggies to power you and your workouts (or just life!). This type of nutritional plan also helps prevent diabetes, heart disease and some types of cancer, and doesn't tax the kidneys and the liver. It is also what most nutritionists, the Heart Association, Cancer Society, etc. recommend. So, I hope that helps somewhat, even though it is general. You probably should go get some blood work to rule out anemia and thyroid issues. If you want to email me privately, we can discuss this in more detail. Good luck, and GREAT JOB on the weight loss so far! Don't let the slight weight gain diminish your accomplishments! cheers, KarenK
Most Active