Losing my hair!!!!!!!

Angel6248
on 1/13/06 2:07 pm - Ballston Spa, NY
Hi, I had the gastric bypass september 19th 05 and as of a month ago I started noticing my hair falling out while in the shower and combing my hair well the last week or so it seems to be getting worse can anyone give me advice as to what to do to help it to stop, my daughter says thankgod you have a lot of hair mom, It like comes out in handfulls now in the shower and it is a weird feeling for sure. The good news is I have lost 79 pounds since the surgery and 109 total. I do remember hearing this could happen but if anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. And also is 3 months out the normal time for hair loss? Thankyou Amie
snflwrsgrdn420
on 1/15/06 11:39 am - NJ
my sister had surgery june '03 and she swears by Biotin. she takes 4000mg a day and never had hair loss and she cant keep artificial nails on cause hers grow to fast. hair was at ears at time of surgery and now it is bellow her bra stap. she tells every one to tke it.
Angel6248
on 1/15/06 1:37 pm - Ballston Spa, NY
Thankyou Holly for that info can I just get that at a place that sells supplements? Thankyou amie L
jamiecatlady5
on 1/15/06 7:22 pm - UPSTATE, NY
Amie: Hey! Funny 'meeting u here'....Hair loss at 3 months is TOTALLY normal dear...Hair loss today is due to issues 3 months ago (trauma, protein deficiency, diet changes, mineral/vit deficiencies etc)...There is nothing u can do to make it stop TODAY! But the good news is if you up protein, take vits today in next few months it will stop and start to regrow...Here is my canned speech on hair loss...(Hope to see u in Feb at group!) HAIR LOSS AFTER WLS Yes it will take longer for the hair loss to stop and regrow. why? READ ON: According to Dr. Louis Flancbaum the author of: "The doctor's guide to weightloss surgery: How to make the decision that could save your life", 2001, pgs 69-70................................................ (paraphrased) "Hair loss can occur with any form of stringent dieting and weight loss. After WLS 10-30% of patients will experience hair thinning or easily removed hair during combing. Protein and iron deficiencies are a common cause, and increasing both can help. If it occurs it will start around 3-6 months and stop around 6-9 months. This is because immediately following WLS adequate protein intake is difficult and it takes about 3 months for the effects to become evident, therefore taking in additional protein via shakes/supplements at the time hair loss is seen is ineffective. There are also many other things including medications that can cause hair loss" · Protein and calorie intake insufficiency · iron deficiency · mineral/vitamin insufficiency · major systemic stress (surgery. trauma...) · Chronic diseases · Ace inhibitors for high BP · Actigall taken to prevent gallstones · allopurinal taken for gout · anticoagulants, (ex coumadin) · anti-depressants · anti-thyroid medicine · beta-blockers for high bp & heart disease · birth control pills · tagamet for stomach acid · lithium-a mood stabilizer TREATMENTS: Increase protein intake (we need at least 60gms a day according to most sources, remember we malabsorb some we take in!), & make sure you are taking a good quality multivitamin. trauma to body of surgery and anesthesia also cause this... U willhear people say take zinc, biotin, selenium, well go ahead but YOUR hair loss is not probably due to just vits (or vits at all) so taking is probably a waste, the hair will regrow regardless! PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEINis the name of the game! Take Care, Jamie Ellis Lap RNY 10/9/02 Dr. Singh 320/163 5'9'' (lost 45# before surgery) Plastics 6/9/04 & 11/11/2005 Dr. King "Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect, it just means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections!"
Angel6248
on 1/16/06 1:07 am - Ballston Spa, NY
Jamie it is funny you responded to this it was meant to be. I am maybe getting 40gr of protein but I will make a good effert to add another 20 to it and yes if it does not snow I will be at group with bells on. I had gotten in an accident on dec 18th I am okay now but it has made me a little more cautious then most times so I will not venture out, but hey I did get a brand new 2006 vehical lol. I will tell about it at group. Thankyou so much for responding and I will increase the protein for sure. Have a great day love amie
snflwrsgrdn420
on 1/19/06 9:39 am - NJ
cvs, eckerd, walmart any where like that. she says it is a very cheap suplament
Most Active