Heart beat is not normal?

Beach_Freak
on 3/24/06 11:40 am - New Ulm, MN
Hello, I am 3 weeks post op. Since last Saturday my heart has had premature beats. I've been to the ER twice and saw my PCP once. They put me on a 24 hour monitor and the results are not back yet. I wanted to know if any of you had this problem too? Thanks- Trish
Aggie_P
on 3/26/06 12:18 am - Southern, UT
The are called premature ventricular con tractions. When the body is under stress this will happen. It can be from a myriad of causes. Mine were caused by having Rhumatic fever as a child and not knowing it. I had the problem only when I was pregnant. The monitor they hooked you up to is called a Halter monitor. It will show how often this happens and the duration besides the intensity of the contractions. Most likely it is not much to be worried about. What happens is the flaps going into the first ventricule of the heart actually invert and open and close irregularly. 95% of the people who have this never have to a thing, it goes away on it's own. In fact the majority of those people really don't know it is happening. It is rare that a case is so bad that you would need surgical intervention. I mean really rare. As you lose weight it will also go away. I wouldn't worry about it unless these episodes last hours at a time, and are so intense that they cause pain. I'm not a Dr. just had the problem.
Most Active