Vitamin D Deficiency from DS - Who Knew???

MaryM.
on 4/27/06 5:29 am - Wake Forest, NC
I have recently begun vitamin therapy for a really bad vitamin D deficiency. Cause: DS surgery -- I absorb no fat -- vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin -- without D, Calcium cannot be absorbed -- without Calcium, osteoporosis can result. IT DID, and in a big way!!!!! Has anyone else had this problem? I'd be VERY interested in talking to you. Thanks for any responses.
Diminishing Dawn
on 10/7/06 2:36 am - Windsor, Canada
I'm not surprised. DS is famous for severe deficiencies. I bet that others on the DS board have been through the same thing so try the DS main messageboard. Good luck and I hope that you are feeling better. Dawn
exuberant_kathy
on 10/26/06 3:07 pm - Bozeman, MT
Mary, Sorry for the late response, but I haven't been back on this site for a LONG time... I just got a call TODAY from a rheumatologist I just started seeing. He did a vitamin D panel on Monday, and he called with the results, saying that I have a severe vitamin D deficiency. I have had problems in the past with my calcium levels not being where they should be, but this was a shock to me. The doctors and I were headed in a completely different direction with the symptoms I was having (SEVERE joint pain and immobilization, swelling of all of my joints, redness, etc.) I was being tested for everything from Rheumatoid Arthritis to Lupus to a handful of other auto-immune disorders. The plan now is to put me on a prescription strength Vitamin D pill once a week and see if we can't get my level at least up in the normal range of 25-80. My level is less than 6!!! I'm also going to get a bone density test done in the next few weeks. I'll have to wait to see how that goes. I am over 4 1/2 years out from my surgery, so I knew that this was a possibility, I just had no idea it had gotten this bad. (I moved to another state from where I originally had the surgery, and there is no support group here, and there really are no doctors who specialize in dealing with the "special" cir****tances and problems that arise in DS patients.) I've pretty much had to be the one doing the educating when it comes to my doctors. I know it can be really scary, but I look at it as a means to an end. I don't think I would be alive today if I hadn't had the surgery, so if these additional vitamins will help me get my energy and my health back, then I'm MORE than willing to do it. Hang in there! Keep us posted on what's happening!! Kathy
Most Active