nutritionist-ketosis ?

Dana H.
on 1/28/08 8:02 am - Elmo, MT
I am six years out and did well for several years,  but the last 18 months I seemed to forget the rules.  I have been back on track for about 3 weeks.  I lost 5 pounds right away but I seemed to gain back 3-4 probebly due to my menstaul cycle.  I think I am coming in and out of ketosis.  I bought strips today and the test read somewhere between trace and small levels of ketones.  What are the levels I should be shooting for and how long should I stay in ketosis?  I am not a diabetic and I still have my gall bladder.  I am in good shape except for the weight gain.  I am using fitday every day if you would like to see what I am eating.  I am also excersising more.  Last week I only got to walk 2 times,  But I have picked back up again.  Thanks so much for an answer in advance.
Back on Track Dana
preop 316, low post op 166, 200 regain, 189 now, 165 goal
www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=ymdana    
sarard
on 1/28/08 2:34 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
It hard to avoid ketosis, but I do my best to keep my clients out of ketosis. I don't push people to be in ketosis at all. I try to promote a balanced diet once my clients are 1 year out. If your surgeon or previous dietitian has suggested that ketosis is where you should be, I think you may want to discuss with him/her. Maybe on of my fellow dietitians can give you a better answer, or one of the other people on this board. I didn't want to ignore your question, I just don't promote this.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Heather S.
on 1/28/08 9:41 pm - Southern, NJ
Sara: Am I understanding you correctly that you try to keep your clients out of ketosis?  Even in the beginning?  I would think it would be nearly impossible to avoid being in ketosis during the first several months. I don't have the "strips" but I was on Atkins several years ago and know when I'm there...I figured it was a good thing for right now...hitting the protein strong, losing weight and not being hungry!  (on the down side I feel like I have terrible breath! ) What is your purpose for keeping people "out" of ketosis?  Maybe I'm not really understanding why it's bad if you're as overweight as we are, taking our vitamins, drinking our water, pushing in lots of protein and exercising regularly. Thanks, Heather

Highest
~Hospital Discharge~Current~
Goal 
   293  ~  (11/9/07) 286  ~  193 ~ 140
                   Height: 5'-6"  Age: 35

sarard
on 1/29/08 12:31 am - Costa Mesa, CA
You're right, I have found it impossible to avoid ketosis in the beginning. Once my clients were one year out, I promoted a balanced diet -- which would take them out of ketosis. I feel that it's important for people to eat a balanced diet - I don't promote a carb-free diet. I think carbs are good for people.
Registered Dietitian
Heather S.
on 1/29/08 12:46 am - Southern, NJ
Gotcha...I couldn't tell from your first message for sure if you were just suggesting after 1 year or before that...I was wondering how you were avoiding ketosis at first when there is so little room for food! Thanks! Heather

Highest
~Hospital Discharge~Current~
Goal 
   293  ~  (11/9/07) 286  ~  193 ~ 140
                   Height: 5'-6"  Age: 35

sarard
on 1/29/08 6:20 am - Costa Mesa, CA
The first year is protein, protein, protein, and when your done with your protein, why not grab a protein shake. But once that phase is over -- I really, really try to get people on a "normal nutrition" eating pattern. So far, it's working for my clients --- I guess you just have to find what works for you. Good luck!!
Registered Dietitian
Dana H.
on 1/29/08 1:38 am - Elmo, MT
Thank you for the reply,  I will keep it in mind.  I prefer eating from all food groupe too,  I just think I need a kick start to get back into the groove of things.
Back on Track Dana
sarard
on 1/29/08 6:22 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Why not "kick starting" weight loss again with increasing your exercise? Not only will that help you lose weight now, but when you build lean body mass, your body ends up burning more calories altogether.
Registered Dietitian
Dana H.
on 1/29/08 9:19 am - Elmo, MT
I agree and forgot to post that I am walking an hour a day 4 t o 6 times a week.  I was walking 2 miles and calling it good but then decided to briskly walk the entire hour.  I am guessing that I am walking 3.5  miles in that hour.  My friend and I are also jogging every other lap for the last 30 minutes.  I wont be doing that agian until the middle of February because she is out of town.  I will continue to walk most days though.  I missed todays walk,  I got very busy.  Thanks for replying.  I am not snacking anymore and that has been a great accomplishment for me.  I use fitday every day and that helps me pay attention to what I am putting in my mouth.  I have a wonderful tool and I just need to remember how to use it.
Back on Track Dana
sarard
on 1/29/08 9:27 am - Costa Mesa, CA
You're on the right track! Exercise is key - and it usually come with the most success when you have a partner -- so I'm glad you're working out with a friend. I'm opinionated when it comes to the low/no-carb diets. But you have to do what's best for you. Personally, I think you're headed down the right track right now....
Registered Dietitian
Most Active