New to Oil Painting

Ms N.
on 7/27/04 3:04 am - Euclid, OH
Hi I decided I needed a new hobby. So I chose painting. I started with paint by numbers...figures..acrylic paint..Now I am jumping into oil paint. Any suggestions?
cinnamongirl
on 7/27/04 10:19 pm - Easton, PA
Ms Na Na, my best advice is to get a student quality paint because if you don't like oils , then you haven't invested alot of money. Pick the primary colors ,titanium white and black. With these you can mix any other color you need. Buy linseed oil for diluting the paint but be aware that the linseed oil can yellow the color after awhile. I use Liquin to mix in my paint , this is great because it dilutes the paint and helps to dry it faster. Buy a few canvas boards also student grade until you figure out if you like oils or not. Get an art catalog from a company like Pearl Paints, Jerry's Artorama, Dick Blick and do some reading on the products and what they do before you go spending alot of money on things you may never use. Oil painting can be quite expensive so check things out before you start.If you have any other question you can ask ,I'm not an expert at all art products but I've used enough that I know what to buy and what to avoid. Brenda
(deactivated member)
on 8/4/04 4:18 am
A good easel goes a long way toward painting with oils. Decent brushes are also a must. I just "fake" paint. Bob Ross and the like. I do so love it. One-Stroke painting is also enjoyable in acrylics. You can find the stuff you need at any art supply shop and most of it at your local Wally World! It is much cheaper there and as a previous post says you won't have so much invested that if you don't like it you aren't in too deep.
billymack
on 8/16/07 7:42 am
That is fantastic advice for a beginner.
kathline W.
on 1/15/05 10:28 pm - San Marcos, TX
Hi, Try winsor/newton waterless oils, you can get a test set of primary colors for around 20.00. Some of the other brands also have them, grumbacher also has great paints. I almost exclusively use waterless oils now, I used real oil paint for years, not only did I paint on canvas, but it got everywhere. My dogs would brush up against my canvas and it would be all over the house, in my hair, on my rugs etc, etc... When I switched to waterless oil from a sample tube, I was amazed, it cleans up with soap and water, washes out of your clothes and no turpentine, or cleaner smells except to clean up your brushes. I show at the New Braunfels art league regulary, and sell a few things every now and then. I do abstract painting in acrylic and oil and stained glass. Some of my fellow art friends at the gallery, don't like them because of the feel, however I have found that if you thin them just a bit with a brush full of water of waterless linseed oil, they react exactly like real oils and they hold their color great.
Most Active