JENNIFER___34 · 27 replies · 258 views
PICS! 51 lbs Gone FOREVER!!
JENNIFER___34 · 24 replies · 338 views
Big day tomorrow!
Charms112 · 19 replies · 102 views

Income Tax Time - Claiming Medical Expenses

endee
on 1/11/09 4:04 am - Renfrew, Canada
Income tax season will soon be upon us so I thought I would supply a few hints on what you can claim for medical expenses.

Here is a link to the info from Revenue Canada:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/330/llwbl-eng.html

or for more in depth:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tp/it519r2-consolid/it519r2-consolid-e.html#P205_42146

You can basically claim mileage, accomodations, parking and meals for ANY medical appointment however, they must be at least 40 kms away. 

You can claim it in 2 different ways, detailed or simplified:

Meal expenses

If you choose the detailed method to calculate meal expenses, you have to keep your receipts. If you choose the simplified method, you may claim a flat rate of $17 a meal, to a maximum of $51 per day, per person, without receipts.

Vehicle expenses

If you choose the detailed method to calculate vehicle expenses, you must keep all receipts and records for the vehicle expenses you incurred for moving expenses or for northern residents deductions during the tax year; or during the 12-month period you choose for medical expenses.

Vehicle expenses include:

• Operating expenses such as fuel, oil, tires, licence fees, insurance, maintenance, and repairs.
  • Ownership expenses such as depreciation, provincial tax, and finance charges.

You also have to keep track of the number of kilometres you drove in that time period, as well as the number of kilometres you drove specifically for the purpose of moving or medical expenses, or for the northern residents deductions. Your claim for vehicle expenses is the percentage of your total vehicle expenses that relate to the kilometres driven for moving or medical expenses, or for northern residents deductions.

For example, if you drove 10,000 km during the year, and half of that was related to your move, you can claim half of the total vehicle expenses on your tax return.

If you choose the simplified method of calculating vehicle expenses, you do not need to keep receipts. Instead, you must keep track of the number of kilometres driven during the tax year for your trips relating to northern residents deductions and moving expenses, or the 12-month period you choose for medical expenses. To determine the amount you can claim for vehicle expenses, multiply the number of kilometres by the cents/km rate from the chart below for the province or territory in which the travel begins.

Province or territory

Cents/kilometre

Alberta

British Columbia

Manitoba

New Brunswick

Newfoundland and Labrador

Northwest Territories

Nova Scotia

Nunavut

Ontario

Prince Edward Island

Quebec

Saskatchewan

Yukon

For accomodations, you must supply receipts as they are claimed using the detailed method.  Parking would be the same.

Don't forget to claim the premiums to your private health services plans if you have one.

The total of these expenses must be at least $1,962 or 3% of the claiment's net income for the year up to a maximum of $10,000.

Check out the link above for other qualifying medical expenses as most of us don't even realize how many things we can claim!

Happy tax season!
Vomit

Nancy D

For information on Gastric Bypass surgery in Toronto, go to www.misgroup.ca
WEIGHT:  Highest:  286     Surgery:  269     Current:  135     Goal:  150
Bobbie jo Deschamps
on 1/11/09 6:29 am - Cardinal, Canada
RNY on 01/04/08 with
Thank you so much for this info....

Bj

endee
on 1/11/09 6:53 am - Renfrew, Canada
You are very welcome!

Nancy D

amaral-whitfield
on 1/11/09 6:35 am - Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Hi Nancy,

Thanks, so much for this information.  I did  need it.
I appriciate you taking the time to post and give such detail.

Thanks, so much!
Sandy

None lost before surgery.
ohcardsmsandy-1.jpg picture by lynnca1972

endee
on 1/11/09 6:56 am - Renfrew, Canada
You are welcome

I have a lot of expenses from last year so I will be taking full advantage of this info as well.  All of my trips to Toronto were when gas prices were at their highest!  I am going to try both the simplified way and the detailed to see which gets me more money.

I do taxes for other people as a way to make a little extra money so I have learned a few of the ins and outs.  I know most people aren't aware of what they can claim so it's nice to get that info from someone.

Good luck and hope you get a big chunk of money back!

Nancy D

SharoninPtbo
on 1/11/09 7:53 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 09/30/08 with
Wow thank you so much for posting this!! I was beginning to think I had ******* myself because I didn't keep meal receipts or gas receipts so being able to claim the other way will be perfect!! I did keep all my hotel receipts though. Again thank you for this very valuable information!! Take care!! Sharon

endee
on 1/12/09 2:26 am - Renfrew, Canada

Glad to hear that there was no ******* involved!  lol

Nancy D

Betty T.
on 1/11/09 11:27 am - Sudbury, Canada
Hey Nancy,

Another questions:  If you are claiming expenses from a 12 month period that was from 2007 to 2008 for example would you use the allowable rates for simple calculation for 2008 or do you use the rate for the year in which they occurred.  I'm not even sure if the rates change. 

For instance in 2008 I will claim for May 2007 to April 2008 then next year I will claim May 2008 to April 2009.  This will benefit me the most.

Betty

Joined Curves - Oct 1, 2010 to work on last 20 to 30 lbs to lose.  

endee
on 1/12/09 2:18 am - Renfrew, Canada
You would claim the rate for the taxation year in which you are filing.  In this case it would be your 2008 taxes so you would use the 2008 rates.

Hope this helps!

Nancy D

JED35
on 1/11/09 11:40 am - CORNWALL, Canada
Thanks Nancy I was wondering where to get this info.

Jan

endee
on 1/12/09 2:20 am - Renfrew, Canada
No problem Jan

I started finding out all of this info when a friend of mine's son developed a disabling form of diabetes.  She was a single mom at the time and could use all of the help she could get.  It gave her quite a bit of money back so it was well worth the research.  This year, my expenses will help me quite a bit too!

Good luck

Nancy D

amaral-whitfield
on 1/11/09 2:24 pm - Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Hi there,

Thanks, for your reply.

Do you thing when it's tax time you can do my taxes and I will pay you to do mine for me.
I will travel to you, we like an adventure.
Let me know and we can work something out.

Thanks,
Sa;ndy

None lost before surgery.
ohcardsmsandy-1.jpg picture by lynnca1972

endee
on 1/12/09 2:20 am - Renfrew, Canada
I will pm you

Nancy D

HeidiA
on 2/10/09 1:55 pm, edited 2/10/09 2:17 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Doing up my spread sheet for income tax purposes with the many trips to Toronto.

I have a couple of questions I am hoping someone can help me with.

Q1 - How much can I claim if I stayed at someone else home instead of a hotel?

Q2 - If in hospital - do I claim meals for my husband only and then claim meals for myself once I am out of hospital since I stayed at the hotel for out of towners for a couple more days?

Heidi
 Listed below are the upcoming Coffee nights at Starbucks (Hunt Club and Merivale Rd) starting at 7:00 pm.

ohcardheidismanimated.gif picture by lynnca1972