What If You Have A Bowel Obstruction?

chelsea_bunnz
on 2/13/09 8:36 am - windsor, Canada
Thanks for sharing everyone. Kim I cant believe they had you wait that long! That's what I am truly worried about, something like suspected bowel obstruction should not to be taken so lightly, knowing the result ultimately without being treated would be death? Glad to hear it was covered for you, but also the wait of 5 days that's absolutely ridiculous!

Jennifer D.
on 2/13/09 9:38 am
Because we know about the possibility of bowel obstruction -if we suspect it, then we can let the doctors know and they should move faster, treating us on an emergency basis.
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
Jenny_F
on 2/14/09 4:32 pm - Ottawa, Canada
If you have a bowel obstruction after surgery you go to the nearest emergency room. They will have to follow protocol which is to give you an abdominal x-ray and then a CT Scan to confirm the obstruction. 
Any general surgeon is familiar with this, bowel obstructions are not specific to weight loss surgery patients and any general surgeon can fix you.
A true bowel obstruction is a serious life threatening emergency and you cannot wait or go out of country. I had one in September, 2 years post op. I went to the emergency room Sunday morning, and was in surgery as soon as the first surgeon was available to operate on me ( about 12 hours later).I cannot see waiting for more than a matter of hours until it's surgically fixed anyways, it's absolutely excruciating, the worst pain I've ever experienced in my life. I thought I was dying....and had I not been taken into surgery I was told that could have been the possible outcome.

Most Active
Recent Topics